Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has been really obnoxiously difficult to catch and cage lately, and it was getting to the point where all I could do was net her. Which took for freaking ever and sometimes she needs to be caged rather quickly and it was getting too hard, so I clipped her.

She can still fly a little, but not enough to evade capture when I need to put her away relatively quickly lmao. So she's sulking now. She was giving me the cold shoulder last night after I did it, but she's mostly over it now, she's just moping. She is more cuddly with me today than she has been in months so that's a plus I guess lol.

I didn't want to clip her, but it was either that or risk her flying out an open door or listen to hubby complain about having to wait outside for 10 minutes while I run around the house like a mad woman trying to catch & cage my friggin bird lol.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aww, poor Zoe. I hope she gains her confidence back soon. It's like that with Honey and Henry, too. They used to be clipped and I could get them on a handheld perch but now that they're fully flighted that's a no-no. They love their independence and can be rather stubborn when they know it's cage time. Usually they fall for a millet bribery though, and no one gets flustered, but it isn't always that easy haha. :p

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I'm sure, too, she will get her confidence back soon. She might also get more accustomed to being caught without fuss while they are growing back.

Joey still refuses to step up and is no longer interested in stepping up into 'his' bamboo spoon handle. We've discovered he will gladly step up onto his food dish to be put back in his cage. He is quite capable of flying in and landing on a perch, climbing down from the roof and going in, or walking in on his own if he is having a wander around the floor, but most of the time he prefers to be lazy and pampered. Little brat. :D

We put his cage (flight cage) onto the floor when we are home and awake, out of habit from when the only way he'd go back on his own was to walk in from the floor. When he is playing on the top, I will kneel beside it and my face is right there by him. I will put my hand and arm flush with the edge, then make kissy faces at him to entice him to step onto the back of my hand or my arm to get his kiss. I figure he may as well get used to standing on me slowly, then we can work from there for stepping up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Heh I guess I just got lucky with Krieger, i basically just held him to my chest and gave him some forced head scritches, and he was like "wait this is awesome, i guess fingers are pretty Okay!" and never a problem since xD

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Heh I guess I just got lucky with Krieger, i basically just held him to my chest and gave him some forced head scritches, and he was like "wait this is awesome, i guess fingers are pretty Okay!" and never a problem since xD
Joey is an absolute scritch junkie, loves to be hand fed, will be right by our hands while we adjust toys, fix perches, etc. I attribute the last bit to the fact he is unbelievably nosy. :D He just doesn't want to step up. I don't know if it is fear or if he is just stubborn about it. He seems fine with hands and fingers other than that, which is why I wonder if he is just stubborn. He is certainly stubborn in other areas. :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For a while, food bribery worked perfectly, but then she caught on and started to pay attention to where I was taking her while she was eating, and as soon as we got close enough to the cage she would take off lol.

Zoe is also a scritch-junkie, and for a while I was able to get her to her cage while giving her scritches in her most favourite spots.. But she caught on to that too and started enjoying scritches with her eyes open so she could see where we were going.

Then I started just holding her against my chest while I took her to her cage and she would absolutely flip out, and I didn't want to stress her out so I stopped that.

Then at the end of it all, I guess she sensed that I wanted her back in her cage because she would fly to the top of the curtains and wouldn't come down. If she did happen to step up on to a stick, i'd get it halfway down before she'd fly off again. So I decided clipping was the easiest way to go. I don't want to stress her out by chasing her all over.

This brat is too smart for her own good lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts