Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a nicer, bigger carrier for my tiels.
I have a really small one i got from petco in 2008, so its probably time to update xD
Buuut I'm really curious what every one else uses
All the nice ones seem to be over $100 and i really can't afford those, but i would REALLY like a nicer one then I currently use.
Any good, affordable carriers you guys know?
Here's mine (We're camping this weekend so no that mess is not my house!! lol!)

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
dally and tsuka's carrier :)

just a small 15" x 12"x 18" cage, nothing special, it works for transport :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Honestly, I just recycled my parakeet's old cage. Looks like this but it's blue instead of green.

I've never had any trouble using that instead of a carrier, so I haven't bothered buying a carrier. Shame on me, I know :pearl:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about getting a budgie cage for a carrier, i mean 20 bucks vs a 100+ one thats the same size. lol but i was afraid the door would be too small, i'm not sure if you can tell but Eclipse is really big. he's about 16 inches from head to tip of tail.
I've never seen a tiel so big. and i'mm a little afraid he'd get stuck xD

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It is sort of difficult to get Rocko through the door, and he's very small - only 9-10 inches from head to tail. If you look into getting a budgie cage as a carrier, go to the pet store and see if you can find one with a large door.

Mine was $35, for reference.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw one advertised once that had an option to either slide the door up or open it from the side, the side one was taller. But i've not been able to find it though.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My budgie cage's door slides up. I really like Rocko's cage, since the door swings open, so I can leave the door open in case he wants out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah for big cages its nice to have those doors, and from the youtube videos you've posted Rocko has a really nice cage. :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I do love his cage, it's a great size, even though he hangs out in the top section. He has plenty of room to run around, even with toys hanging everywhere. I've become obsessed with making toys for him out of string, too :pearl:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah? post some pics of your creations! its so fun to see all the cool creative projects everyone makes!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
They're nothing special :p He usually knocks them down and they just become hanging strands of string anyway lol.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I picked up a purple cage for $25 from living jungle.

It's small, light, and easily fits one bird in it. Two at the most. Only for travelling.

I also wrote on the front of it that it was a travel cage, and not stable for housing.

Before I bought it, I saw a lady telling another lady that it was the cage she had for her cockatiel, because it didn't need more space than that. I was horrified, and I think the other lady was too!
So I wrote on it, as a subtle hint to anyone who ever saw me carrying it, that it was not a suitable cage for any bird to live in...IMHO.

I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats very cute as a carrier, people who treat their pets so poorly should not be allowed to own them in my opinion, the smallest cage i've used was 30x18x18 and i have a 18x18x24 only for camping or weekend trips. :) but i'm currently looking at the nice 32x20x64 flight cages

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly i wouldn't use a small cage for budgies either being as they love flying about. Not sure why most people get such little cages like that

·
Registered
5,635 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ooohhh! Why don't you like sand perches?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm something i might look further into, i thought they were for their nails. My swing has a sand perch.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts