Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i recently inquired a 6 weeks old cockatiel and he won’t eat anything but boiled egg yolks, I’ve tried with all kinds of vegetables as well as different seeds from the pet store. Any suggestions on what else to try to feed him or how to get him to eat some real food?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Try soft food, such as cooked rice, cocked pasta, or bread. At 6 weeks, the beak is not strong enough to crack hard seeds. Too much protein will cause problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok so, cockatiels CAN NOT have an only seed diet,they need three bowls in their cage: Chop, pellets and water. Start giving him pellets or he will develop fatty liver desase! Any more tips reply to my comment

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for now he eats a mixture of different vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, paprika, carrots etc as well as rice and quinoa. I wasn’t ever gonna feed him seeds but got scared when e wouldn’t eat. I’m also looking at pellets but it’s hard finding a good brand in Sweden.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Seeds are not that bad. Before pellets become popular, lots of cockatiels are on seeds whole life and can still live 20+ years. My point is diversity of diet, so cockatiel gets balanced nutrition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts