Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I'm new here. I got 2 cockatiels one Male and the other female. I have had the female for almost 7 month now. The time that I bought her she could eat seeds (I didn't know what was her age that time)

Anyways she got sick 2 month ago. She got metal poisoning. She never liked the cage and was always free. So I tried so hard to keep her alive, took her to the vet and now she is fine.
The time she got better a lil bit after that sickness period, i bought her a new big cage and brought a male cockatiel. (So to convince her and motivate her to stay in cage)
The time I brought the male, she had reactions toward him like picking on him biting and so on, so I thought they might not mate in the future. But my female cockatiel stayed in cage since then. I let them fly twice a day for hours I suppose :)

So anyways, these days I found them mating. I saw them doing so (although the female still isn't romantic to the male at all)

I was like okay! Maybe I have to prepare a nest for them. I got them a nest and yeah the male is trying to get nest ready and ...

But what I worry about is that the female bird is very Young i suppose and I have read on websites that this might cause her problems like binding eggs and even saw videos of birds dying cause of binding eggs :((((

There is also another thing about her and it is that she gets very aggressive at times. Even when I approach my finger to the cages bar she over reacts and that scars me so much. She has never been like this.

Was it wrong to bring a male to her? Was it wrong to give them a nest box??

I didn't know many things and I know now it wasn't a good idea to bring a male and let them mate or breed.
Is there really a danger for her? Is she under pressure or pain? What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Normal grey split to pied
175 Posts
actually im planning to get my almost 5 months old 99.9 % male a female once he molts beacuse i want them to bond so i know there is a chance of being mates in future. REMOVE THAT NESTBOX! nestboxes activate alot of hormones in tiels (thats what i heard) and limit daylight AND artificial light, and since they already mated i think its better to give tem more calcium (my baby boy had very short feather when he was 2.5 months old so i made him eggshell powder and it worked like a charm) keep a close eye on them as they might lay eggs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts