Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I got Miso when he was about 6 months old back in late June 2021. He was always pretty bold and not afraid of most things, and very cuddly. He started early on with mirrors, which I did allow him to have both in and out of his cage. He never showed any negative behaviors as a baby, but around the time of his first molt he began posing in front of it, and later attacking it. He started his first adult molt around November/December of 2021, and finished it roughly January 2022. This is also the time I bought two baby budgies, about four months old as of January 1st 2022.

This is when Miso's behavior started to go downhill. I'm not sure if it's the budgies, hormones, or a combo. I quarantined the budgies for a month, in another room upstairs. They could hear each other and often called back and forth through the doors to each other. I took this as a good sign, but when I finally introduced them, Miso started bullying them, trying to drag them around by the tails and constantly nipping at their toes. He was flighted and the babies are not.

At almost and around the same time, he suddenly stopped allowing my sister to pick him up and pet him at all. He will still sing/tweet at her and will perch on her shoulder or head, but the second her hand comes near him he hisses and bites/lunges. He stopped going peaceably to bed, and would frantically fly around the room to avoid me. Unfortunately trying to get him into the cage may have made him mistrustful of my hands, as he became more and more aggressive even with me. He still came to me for pets and such, but any time I tried to pick him up he'd bite or hiss, then fly away. He did this because he wants to sleep on the budgies' cage, even to the point of hiding behind the perch and toys on it to avoid detection. I have UV lights on timers that go on and off, he knows when they go off it's time for bed and will try and situate himself quietly before that.

I've taken away his mirrors which didn't phase him too much, though he is still very excited by them when he sees them, and also lengthened the time their lights are off, to give them more darkness. The other day I clipped his wings, which really traumatized him. He started out clipped as a baby, then grew his flight feathers back between November and January. I loved that he was flighted and free, he really loved flying too, but I wanted to bring him down a few notches and also give the budgies a chance to be out of the cage more (he would dive bomb them and constantly follow them around the room, or creep on them from outside the cage if they were inside it. They are in theirs much more often since they are bonded to each other and don't care too much about anybody or anything else, and they are not tamed.) Miso would sit on top or hang off the side, nipping them if they were hanging off the side or loudly chirping and singing to them. He even learned how to speak budgie to yell at them.

Well, he can't reach the budgies' cage as easily now, and right now he's still mad at me for clipping him, but he's still very ornery about bed time, just easier to control. He will come to me with no fuss if he flutters to the ground and wants to get back up, but if I try and get him to step up or put him to bed he gets aggressive again. He has at least started to forgive me as he asked for scritches when I let him out of his cage yesterday (he's always happy the next morning and until I let him out of his cage, always asking for scritches, but the rest of the time he wants to be left alone unless he chooses to come over.) Any movement toward him and he hisses or opens his beak aggressively/downright lunges, even when offered treats. The last couple days after I clipped him he's not been singing or coming to me even on his own, so he's still sore about that, which I don't blame him for.

I was hoping Miso's behavior would mellow out, but it's been progressively worse since he hit birdy puberty. Not sure if he's just overly hormonal, or if the budgies made him more so. I haven't been able to work with taming them much since Miso is always there to mess with them, though, so I feel they are missing out. I would like him to be able to fly freely again and be more friendly toward me at the very least, hopefully with my sister again long term, any ideas what's gotten him riled up and if there is a way to salvage his behaviors? I thought about giving away the budgies but it's not that easy and I would miss them, so I was hoping to get ideas from others on what might calm Miso down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure he isn’t playing? Mine does this on occasion. They have their own personality and usually will do as they please.
Thanks for the reply!

As for Miso, it is a constant thing, and there is a lot of attitude behind it. He used to step up nicely, sometimes even when he just saw my hand he'd put a foot up, now it's the opposite and he gets into a defensive/offensive position when he sees my hands. His flying was even becoming aggressive, and he'd dive bomb the budgies when they were enjoying time outside the cage, as well as wing us in the head. He was fine and friendly when he got to dictate what was going on and when and where he wanted but if anybody else tried to control the situation he'd fly into quite the rage.

He's mellowed out a lot since I clipped him, and has even started to forgive me and act more himself again asking for pets and even started to jump on me and test out how far he could fly, getting around more confidently, playing with his toys and starting to sing and talk again (he had became very quiet for the past week or so, just sitting on his perch on my nightstand by his mirror, and slept most of Saturday when he was allowed out of his cage, to the point I thought he might be getting sick), but I would like him to be fully flighted again at some point. He really enjoys flying but I think it makes him way too cocky and bold, unfortunately. He still fights at bed time, though gives up a bit quicker since he can't fly far or fast anymore. He still shows me his contempt by kind of flinging himself onto my hand but encorporating a bite or a bunch of nips as he does, and will often skitter up my arm and behind my neck to avoid me getting him to step up again, nipping and biting if my hand gets closer but he is easier to control. I'm glad he's acting more himself again, I think he'll bounce back but clipping his wings again (when they grow out) would be quite the ordeal for a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts