Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just needing to know at what age baby cockatiels start losing their trust of people if they're not hand fed. Right now Spider is very trusting. Very innocent (and cute!). In the past, when I co parented, it was like a switch went off with the babies and they didn't want me near them. I'd like to avoid that in the future and put extra effort into the time they become more independent. For the life of me I can't remember when it happened.

Tips? Advice? :) :grey tiel:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have co-parented before (MASSIVE pain in the A omg.. -_-) and my babies remained ~tame~ but I picked them up a lot. They were a little more wary than the 100% hand raised babies, but they were always ok with people touching them. Around 3-4 weeks is when mine start to get 'funny' and I need to handle them a lot.

Pick them up A LOT and just.. do stuff. As best you can lol. Also get some family members/friends to come over and pick them up (with clean hands obviously or even gloves) to help socialize them. Whenever people would come to my house, regardless of what they were here for, i'd make them hold a baby for a while. It does wonders for getting the babies used to being picked up and held by different people.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I believe birds are born with an innate fear of humans so if he is trusting you now I would keep doing what your doing so he continues to trust you

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you everyone for your help! I'm trying to handle Spider for about an hour a day. He was a bit jumpy while I picked him up this afternoon, but I didn't get a chance to handle him yesterday. Ah well. Just means more handling today :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Panda went through a stage at around 3 weeks old, where he was completely freaked out by anything/anyone walking by his brooder. Zoe was never like that and it worried me for a while, because he never seemed happy regardless of how much I picked him up lol. He was always swaying and hissing at me. He came good though a little while later when his wings had fully grown in and he was gaining a little bit of independence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts