Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have 4 month old cockatiel, pet store told me it is 4 month old. But I think they lied because it is having first molt so probably 6-7 months old. I have noticed that under its beak and around its eye it started being yellowish. My first thought was it might be a boy but I noticed spots under wing and tail which suggest it is girl. I don't know what it could please help.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
It might be a "spot gene" bird. They often have yellow near the beak and eye, regardless of sex or age. They also tend to have a lot more spots under the wing than average. There's an article on it here: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-spotgene.html

All babies have some markings on the wings, rump and tail. Males lose these markings at maturity and females keep the markings for life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, I have 4 month old cockatiel, pet store told me it is 4 month old. But I think they lied because it is having first molt so probably 6-7 months old. I have noticed that under its beak and around its eye it started being yellowish. My first thought was it might be a boy but I noticed spots under wing and tail which suggest it is girl. I don't know what it could please help.
if the spots under tail remains after full molting then it is a female. I always prefer checking pelvic bone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Akash, thank you very much. Could you please tell me what exactly it is because I have never heard of it
Pelvic bone is located just above a birds vent area. Just place your index finger( don’t press because pelvic bones are delicate so that it could break and hurt the bird) and feel the bone by moving the finger slowly from vent to pelvic bone.
Females will have gap for egg laying and males doesn’t have gap and the bones are close together , may have a Bob like end .
be careful will touching the bone
don’t stress the bird as it could tighten itself so the gap(if female) will be constricted . If they are stressed/afraid then make them cool by lowe the noise which fear them and give scratch or preen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.