Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a yellow cockatiel. I believe it is a female but I'm not sure...

Description: White boy, yellow tail and part of ace and crest. I also noticed she/he has a bald spot on the back of its crest (top of its head).

Any possible suggestions as to the type it is? I will shortly be posting a pic thanks!

:lutino::lutino::lutino::lutino:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Based on your description, it's sounds like your bird is lutino. However, just to confirm, try shining a light into the eyes. If they reflect red in the iris and the pupil, then it is lutino. However, if they reflect red only in the pupil or there is no red at all, then it is clear pied. Assuming its lutino, you can generally tell their gender based on how much of their head is yellow. If its just around the eyes and beak, then it's female. If the whole head is yellow, then it is male. You can find pictures of this by going to Just Cockatiels and finding their page on lutinos. However, if your bird is clear pied, then he/she cannot be visually sexed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi so i checked its eyes, and there is no red at all. I shined a light and its eye color was a grey/blue color. What does this mean?

And according to the coloration on the face, it is a female!

I have her paired up with a White faced grey male. I do not know if they are sits or anything like that. From THEIR mutations, what may their offsprings mutations be?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, so, since the eyes are not red, this means that he/she is not lutino. Therefore, what I said about the face coloration does not apply. It sounds like clear pied. This is when a bird is so heavily pied that none of its feathers are grey. Unless you know the mutations of the parents, there is no way that I can help you sex this bird.

Assuming it is female, paired with a whiteface male, they would have all normal grey babies split to pied and whiteface. However, the female could easily have another mutation that the clear pied is covering up. Also, both birds could easily be split to a mutation. So, based on that, you could get any mutation out of that pair. But if they are jut a clear pied and a whiteface, then all their babies will be normal grey split to pied and whiteface.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Haha! Thanks! I just find it all so fascinating! And, I love things like science and math because they are so logical, which is exactly what this is! Once you understand it, it's just a bunch of logic to figure out each situation. I love it! (Sorry, nerd moment :p )

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sounds like a Lutino split pied or whiteface if it has blue/grey eyes. Clear pieds will have a brown iris

·
Registered
78 Posts
I stand corrected. After doing some more research, I have to agree, at least partially, with cassie. On this page http://www.justcockatiels.net/lutino.html on Just Cockatiels, about halfway down, it says that lutino split to pied can have blue eyes. It also says on this page http://www.justcockatiels.net/pied.html that clear pieds have dark eyes. The only thing I can't find evidence for is the lutino split to whiteface have blue eyes. Where did you find that, cassie?

I am so sorry I misidentified her, acm!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I found out through a fellow breeder in a facebook group after seeing a picture of one of his Wf lutino split pied, it has really blue eyes! so we got talking.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have a lutino male split whiteface and he has red eyes.... I know 100% he is split whiteface as I got a whiteface chick out of him and my cinnamon Pearl pied hen... So both are carrying whiteface.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a lutino male split whiteface and he has red eyes.... I know 100% he is split whiteface as I got a whiteface chick out of him and my cinnamon Pearl pied hen... So both are carrying whiteface.
Not all split whiteface or split pied lutinos have blue eyes. No lutinos are born with any eye color other than red but develop these other colors with time. The ones that do develop that eye color (not all split lutinos do) go through the change well in adulthood.

I am always suspicious when somebody who is not a breeder claims to have a clear pied. These birds are very rare.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Not all split whiteface or split pied lutinos have blue eyes. No lutinos are born with any eye color other than red but develop these other colors with time. The ones that do develop that eye color (not all split lutinos do) go through the change well in adulthood.

I am always suspicious when somebody who is not a breeder claims to have a clear pied. These birds are very rare.
;) cool ty for the info!! By the way mine is banded 2010.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Yes all his that have coloured eyes are well matured now.
As for clear pieds being rare I guess it depends on where you are, and whom you get it from. some countries they are becoming quite popular so less hard to get, also I'm surprised at how many people miss identify a clear pied and think it's a Lutino. I actually went to pick up two free lutino's a few weeks back and came home with one lutino and one clear pied :lol:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes all his that have coloured eyes are well matured now.
As for clear pieds being rare I guess it depends on where you are, and whom you get it from. some countries they are becoming quite popular so less hard to get, also I'm surprised at how many people miss identify a clear pied and think it's a Lutino. I actually went to pick up two free lutino's a few weeks back and came home with one lutino and one clear pied :lol:
You have to consider, clear pied is not a mutation but a description for a type of pied. There are heavy pieds, medium pieds, light pieds, and to be a clear pied the bird has to develop just right so no melanocytes migrate from the neural crest to the rest of the body:

http://www.mutavi.info/index.php?art=blackeye

The odds are stacked greatly against that happening. It isn't to say it doesn't happen, this is just very unlikely.

Consider the odds of a cockatiel being a pied that happens to have no dark feathers against a lutino a very common sex-linked mutation. Overwhelmingly, the lutinos outnumber the clear pieds. It would not surprise me if the cinnamon fallow outnumbered the clear pieds as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes I'm not saying they are common or anything. Just saying how some times by pure chance one of these birds can pop up out of no where and end up in a non breeders hands :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts