Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I currently have 5 budgies and am considering a cockatiel. I belong to the Talk Budgie forum and love it. Today I was reaserching cockatiels all day and just now came across this site. I'm thrilled! There are a couple names on here i recognize and am thankful to be here. Here is a picute of the little guy we are thinking about.

I have a couple questions. 1. Can budgies and cockateils be kept in the same room? (Different cages) 2. Do they get along ok? 3. Can I just get one cokateil and will the company from the budgies be good when we are not home. I'm sure there will be more questions but I'll post elsewhere. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hi there welcome to the forum :) what a cutie your considering on getting, yes cockatiels and budgies can be kept in the same room in different cage, as far as getting along some do and some don't budgies are known for bullying tiels so you have to watch them carefully out of my three tiels only one likes my budgie Sparkle and they get along good but I still have to watch them, there are alot of people on here with one tiel and they do just fine just make sure s/he has toys in the cage to entertain will your gone some people even leave the t.v or radio on for them as well.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
He is very cute! Welcome to the site :) Tiels and budgies can be in the same room- some can even have supervised playtime together. I keep my budgie's cage right next to my tiels.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Oh wow, what a cutie you're looking at getting!! :D I have three budgies and three tiels in the house. Usually they'll all get along well enough to have play time together, sometimes they'll be friendly or sometimes they might just tolerate each other. The only problems i ever have is with one budgie who's decided it's fun to pull crests and tails. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
581 Posts
hey welcome to talkcockatiels
i have 1 tiel and 11 budgies in the same room, there is a big budgie cage, and a smaller tiel cage... of their own free will, they all come out in the morning, go in and out of the cage all day and go to bed at night, i have never had a problem the tiel and the budgies get along great, and they are able to tell when one of them is not in a good mood, and therefore steer clear, budgies get bitchy when there are breeding boxes or not enough room/playthings etc i spend alot of time, money and effort entertaining my birds to keep them all friendly, i could swear the more food sources the budgies have the less bickering but i did introduce the tiel slowly into the birdroom...first just supervised play sessions in there, then her cage was moved to there, but she was either with me in the other rooms or supervised with budgies or in bed.... and finally i felt comfortable enough to leave them (kinda) i spent many hours first hiding behind the curtain with their light on/the sun and the light off/drawn curtains where i was so i could see them stealthily... but they all deal with each other nicely

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hope you do get your cockatiel :D:D
i have a budgie and a cockatiel, they are in the same cage, and they play with each other and prune each other. They tolerate them playing with their toys and sitting near them 24/7 like little bill(my budgie) does in the cage.
They also play outside the cage well.

We had Earl(my cockateil) first and then about a month later we got little bill. We just put little bill in with him and after a few hours they were fine with each other :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we didn't get the baby I put on here at the top. But we found another breader and fell in love with another baby. i put down a down payment and we will get her in 3 weeks. I can't wait! I'll start a new thread and post a picture the next time i go to visit her. We are guessing she is a girl but she will be DNA tested this week so we will know for sure.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
That's awesome!!! :D I bet the three weeks drag by for you. I had to wait over a month from when i put a deposit on Bailee as a 2 week old chick until he could come home.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, I can't wait. They said I can visit as much as I want but I think time is going to drag on and on and on.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
yeah, I can't wait. They said I can visit as much as I want but I think time is going to drag on and on and on.
You must be so excited :D keep yourself busy hopefully the weeks will go fast, at least you can visit and maybe get some pic's of your new baby :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts