Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good to know I dont have to get a DNA test now today Rocko and Casper were having a little fight nothing bad they were fighting over Casha the white Female tiel.Casper had his wings spread right out saying back off and Rocko was trying to get closer to Casha and then he and Casper were pecking st each others beak.Luckily Loki wasnt there to see but I told her anyways what happened lol.Loki dosent like other Females near Rocko she goes mad.If you wanna see the video go to my Group LittleFeatheredFriends on Facebook and scroll down a bit

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
That doesn't necessarily determine sex, it just tells you which birds are bonded. Same sex pairs of tiels can be very bonded and even mate.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't necessarily determine sex, it just tells you which birds are bonded. Same sex pairs of tiels can be very bonded and even mate.
Casper is a normal grey tiel so hes Male lol he was fighting with Rocko over Casha a Female and if Rocko were female how is he Bonded to Casha he only seen her twice.Also Females have lots of pearls Rocko lost a lot.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I'm not telling you that Rocko isn't a male, I'm telling you that behavior is not a good way to determine sex. It makes sense that Casper might not like a strange bird approaching one of his flock mates, regardless of sex. It sounds like Casper and Casha are at least somewhat bonded.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not telling you that Rocko isn't a male, I'm telling you that behavior is not a good way to determine sex. It makes sense that Casper might not like a strange bird approaching one of his flock mates, regardless of sex. It sounds like Casper and Casha are at least somewhat bonded.
Yes they are bonded they have been together all their lives my Aunt adopted them so she dosent know their age and Casha is a proven female.So makes sense Two males fighting over a female.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yeah you cant tell if rocko is a male or not from this interaction. The woman I bought buttercup said something similar, she told me that buttercup was a male because her female was trying to mate with buttercup. I didn't believe her though and it turns out Buttercup is a girl. I got her DNA sexed. Behaviour like that, or like what you're describing, doesn't tell you what sex a bird is.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yes they are bonded they have been together all their lives my Aunt adopted them so she dosent know their age and Casha is a proven female.So makes sense Two males fighting over a female.
My male has zero interest in either of my girls and would rather romance a paper bag (literally, he sings and makes heartwings at bags). What you're observing is flock dynamics, not sex-specific behaviors.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah you cant tell if rocko is a male or not from this interaction. The woman I bought buttercup said something similar, she told me that buttercup was a male because her female was trying to mate with buttercup. I didn't believe her though and it turns out Buttercup is a girl. I got her DNA sexed. Behaviour like that, or like what you're describing, doesn't tell you what sex a bird is.
Lol it kinds does if Rocko was interested in the Female and was fighting with a Male for her and that Loki dosent like Females being near Rocko.Should I go on yes I think I need to.Rocko has lost all his pearls he acts like a Male everybody thinks hes a Male.And enigma I just wanted to say why do you Disagree with almost everything I say and I know people will disagree with things but you Disagree with almost everything I say.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My male has zero interest in either of my girls and would rather romance a paper bag (literally, he sings and makes heartwings at bags). What you're observing is flock dynamics, not sex-specific behaviors.
Rocko isnt one of your birds Rocko is interested and I know its flock behaviour its something Two males do fight for a female I also know birds choose their mate so Rocko could like Casha but isnt interested in Loki.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm not saying rocko isn't male, I actually think he is from what I've heard of him previously like about his pearls and things like that, but this particular behaviour does not indicate that he's male. Females do this over other females, males do it over other males. It's not necessarily a mating thing. It can be, but it easily might not be as well. Females try to mate with females sometimes, males to to mate with males sometimes so it's not easy to tell this way. Also they might have been fighting for another reason, not cause they wanted her for a mate. It might have just been protective behaviour because she's bonded with one of them.

To recap, I think rocko is a male, but not because of this.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not saying rocko isn't male, I actually think he is from what I've heard of him previously like about his pearls and things like that, but this particular behaviour does not indicate that he's male. Females do this over other females, males do it over other males. It's not necessarily a mating thing. It can be, but it easily might not be as well. Females try to mate with females sometimes, males to to mate with males sometimes so it's not easy to tell this way. Also they might have been fighting for another reason, not cause they wanted her for a mate. It might have just been protective behaviour because she's bonded with one of them.

To recap, I think rocko is a male, but not because of this.
If Rocko was female why would he fight with a Male for a Female.If you watch the video you will understand more.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sorry, I just edited my past post to explain a bit. "Females try to mate with females sometimes, males to to mate with males sometimes so it's not easy to tell this way. Also they might have been fighting for another reason, not cause they wanted her for a mate. It might have just been protective behaviour because she's bonded with one of them."
Sometimes when two birds are bonded, regardless of their sex, they'll be protective of each other when another bird is around. It doesn't necessarily matter what sex any of the birds are, they're just like "back away from my best friend, mate!"

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I just edited my past post to explain a bit. "Females try to mate with females sometimes, males to to mate with males sometimes so it's not easy to tell this way. Also they might have been fighting for another reason, not cause they wanted her for a mate. It might have just been protective behaviour because she's bonded with one of them."
Sometimes when two birds are bonded, regardless of their sex, they'll be protective of each other when another bird is around. It doesn't necessarily matter what sex any of the birds are, they're just like "back away from my best friend, mate!"
Now I get it just like us we would protect our friends and family.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
And enigma I just wanted to say why do you Disagree with almost everything I say and I know people will disagree with things but you Disagree with almost everything I say.
I try to correct misinformation when I see it on the forum because generally I assume that people are here to learn about their birds. :) I'd certainly think someone who wants to be a vet and is making money on training would want to know accurate information on bird behavior.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I try to correct misinformation when I see it on the forum because generally I assume that people are here to learn about their birds. :) I'd certainly think someone who wants to be a vet and is making money on training would want to know accurate information on bird behavior.
Well yes and I thank tasheane for giving me Accurate information :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I'm glad she was able to explain it in a way that got through to you. I think you might find that I told you the same thing, but it may have gotten lost in your rush to disagree with me. :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad she was able to explain it in a way that got through to you. I think you might find that I told you the same thing, but it may have gotten lost in your rush to disagree with me. :)
If anybody explained it properly it would have got through to me and you both said completely different things.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts