Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my Tallie is very noisy, he whistles all the time in his cage (but only when no one is watching) when he's out of the cage, he's usually pretty quiet. Today, I was sitting on the couch with him & he looked right at me and "talked" like, cockatiel gibberish :p Then, he started "talking" to the window. I was SO surprised, he's usually really quiet outside his cage. This gives me hope that I can teach him to say a few words! I've heard something really close to "pretty bird' while he's in his cage, but it's more a whistle than anything else.
I'm like, 99% sure it's a boy now, w/ the whistling and the "talking" ... and the attitude :)rolleyes:) I'm pretty much just waiting for the yellow face to come in! Ahh, he's so cute :love:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Has he molted yet? Anyway, that sounds super exciting!! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yay Tallie! Enjoy the cockatiel gibberish, it can be annoying but it makes up for everything in cuteness!!
haha, yes it was SO cute! I wonder what he was trying to tell me? LOL, maybe he'll talk more when I'm playing w/ him tomorrow :)

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Very cute! My tiel doesn't talk but he'll sometimes look at me and move his mouth like he wants to. He's 15 though so I don't think he actually will talk. I'd just love to know what he'd say if he could. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like he's beginning to be a talker! They start out with 'baby talk'. They need to practice the sounds, then the sounds get better, just like a human baby. It's so fun to hear them learn their first words:)

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I came back to this because I was looking for info for another thread because I read this and I realized I never replied!

I think it's cute he is trying to talk to you. :) I found a youtube video of a girl saying "pretty bird" to her bird over and over and played that for Grey and he perfected it off that video. You might want to give that a try.. The more he hears it, the more he will try to say it correctly! And it's super exciting when they finally do. lol.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Awww cute :love:

I just wanted to say I thought of doing the same thing, playing a recording on the computer on a loop or something or at least regularly. I was mainly thinking for teaching Tenchi to whistle tunes (seeing as how I can't whistle :blush:) It's definitely a worth while idea if you fancy trying it ;)

However I'm pretty sure he's been trying to say 'hello' the last few days! I say hello to him a million times a day and always when I first approach the cage. It's one of the first words I was hoping he'd pick up on. He's only about 4months old so young for a talker since a lot of folks recommend starting after they hit 1year old...I wont expect miracles straight away :rolleyes: but he loves to chatter 'tiel with me and this is a new sound that's been progressing steadily for a few days. It's a lot of static with some sound thrown it...really hard to describe...but it's not his normal 'teil talk...it does sound like he's working on a new 'sound' because it gets longer and louder every time.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I can't whistle either! I've not had any luck teaching him whistle tunes with videos. But I sure do try. Persistence really helped him turn a staticy "pretty bird" into a very clear one. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts