Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tiel, Cloud :wf grey:, has officially won the worst potential mom ever award. I didn't let her fertilize her eggs for her first clutch, just to see how good of a parenting job she would do, and she has not done very well.

1. She laid her eggs from the top of a high perch and cracked them all open. (I then replaced them with fake eggs)
2. She only tries to incubate them at night. During the day, she completely ignores them.
3. She is never sitting on all of her eggs at once; she is constantly misplacing them. And it's never the same eggs that she's misplaced. Sometimes she only sits on one and ignores the others and sometimes it's the opposite.

I don't think I'm going to try for any baby tiels anytime soon. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It takes practice. Is there a mate with her? Only sitting at night is normal, because one mate takes day shift and another will take the night shift. So for her, she's expecting her partner to do the day shift.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To answer your question: Yes. His name is Pepper, but he is currently in lockdown in his own cage because last week he flew into a wall and injured his pelvis.
Besides, what about the scrambling her eggs upon laying them? and the constant misplacing of all the eggs in her clutch? XD

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
She might take her egg-tending duties more seriously if she was allowed to follow the normal breeding process. Meaning actually mating with a male, and having him with her to do his share of the work. Some hens will tend their eggs very diligently without a mate, but your hen is obviously not one of them :)

It's also possible that she would do a better job the second time around no matter what. Some birds know what to do right away and others need time and experience to figure it out. But there's no point in letting her lay infertile eggs as an experiment.

Not having a proper mating experience might be the reason that she laid her eggs off a perch. She wouldn't consciously know that they were infertile, but at some level she may have known that something wasn't right. When you gave her replacement eggs, she might not have seriously considered them to be her eggs, since she found them in a place where she didn't lay them.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Besides, what about the scrambling her eggs upon laying them? and the constant misplacing of all the eggs in her clutch?
When you say misplacing, what do you mean? I had a hen that buried her first egg (I couldn't find it for days) then one day it just reappeared alongside the other eggs and hatched when the 2nd egg did. This is common practice.

I agree with tielfan. Messing with the natural way things are supposed to go can throw her off. Any change to the environment that made her think it was safe to lay in the first place (i.e. the male being removed) could have made her decide it actually wasn't safe anymore.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You also haven’t stated if she had a nest box? You have to give them a box before they start laying or they just lay anywhere

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you want to breed your birds, you need to be prepared to step in if things are not going right. Do you have a brooder and hand rearing formula? Do you know how to hand rear and would you have the time to do it for a day old baby? These are things you need to think about before you let your birds breed. Not all birds know what to do from the start, and even experienced birds can have a sick baby in the nest that needs rescuing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts