Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm going on a holiday for a month in June and my two cockatiels will be staying with my partners parents. They both have big cages to themselves, lots of toys, love to chat to each other but don't like sharing. but what I'm mostly worried my most tame tiel will not be as tame when I return as he won't be handled as much while I'm away. How long before cockatiels become untamed? And will he still be the same cuddly tiel I left and remember me when I come home? Anything I can do to help him not forget me over the month?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Will they be able to handle him daily? Just for a little while?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my partners dad will, he used to handle the older cockatiel when we lived there. I'm hoping he will get him out at least every second day at worst. The youngest is a big sook if you don't take him out for a cuddle

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was recently ill and was hospitalized and then bed ridden for a month. I wasent able to handle Bruno for a solid month. I felt horrible. I also had two other parrots that I had to rehome because I couldn't physically keep up the care of three birds while ill.

Once I was better and able to see him after a month I thought I would be back to square one with him. He was 6 months going on 7 and I knew I could be in for a train wreck. But I opened his cage and he hopped up on my hand with no problems. Not one!

And no no one else was handling/interacting with him while I was ill. He was just fed and watered etc. Since then it's been like nothing ever changed. Not one single behavior problem. I don't know if my bird is just a patient angel or he just has really great toys. I will say this much because I knew I couldn't physically be with him I made sure new toys were bought and the whole inside of his cage was switched up a couple times that month, to keep him from being bored.

He is now back to spending 80% of his day free ranging the house and eating and sleeping inside his cage. He has no aggression about going into his cage no bad habits like that.

So I would say if you put extra cool and interactive toys in the cage your bird should be fine.I don't think a truly tame cockatiel would become completely untame after a month of little contact/interaction. But I can't speak for all birds. Every tiel is different.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I went on a holiday to china for a month as well, and my grandparents looked after Ziggi. I made a time schedule for feeding and play time on his play gym and when I got back he was just the same, he didn't loose his cheekiness :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts