Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is hair worm and round worm because the vet told me to give Rocko a wormer and the wormer saids on it that it treats hair worm and round worm will this work for Rocko because of his watery poop I also read that round worm eggs can be seen in their poop by the vet.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Unless your vet did a gram stain and saw the worms/eggs with his/her own eyes, I wouldn't give Rocko a wormer.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless your vet did a gram stain and saw the worms/eggs with his/her own eyes, I wouldn't give Rocko a wormer.
Rockos poops are normal now remember they were watery I didnt give him the wormer and hes fine now.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My birds had worms and you could see them in the poop haven't seen any for about a year and a half, they had a total parasite treatment at the base of the feathers, they didn't really seem to mind it. But I agree if there isn't evidence of worms don't worm him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My birds had worms and you could see them in the poop haven't seen any for about a year and a half, they had a total parasite treatment at the base of the feathers, they didn't really seem to mind it. But I agree if there isn't evidence of worms don't worm him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This happened like 2 months ago I already said I didnt worm him now thread closed please.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I wanted to add, in case anyone else is looking at this thread for reference in the future, that it is entirely possible for birds to have parasites that you can't see in their poop. So, if you have reason to suspect parasites, don't rule it out just because you aren't finding any that are visible to the naked eye. In general, though, it's never a good idea to treat birds with anything including wormer unless given a specific reason and instructions by a vet.

"Less is more" is generally a good rule of thumb in our birds' medical care, because they are very very sensitive to anything we put in their system. It's all too easy to cause problems that weren't there in the first place if trying to treat without guidance.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to add, in case anyone else is looking at this thread for reference in the future, that it is entirely possible for birds to have parasites that you can't see in their poop. So, if you have reason to suspect parasites, don't rule it out just because you aren't finding any that are visible to the naked eye. In general, though, it's never a good idea to treat birds with anything including wormer unless given a specific reason and instructions by a vet.

"Less is more" is generally a good rule of thumb in our birds' medical care, because they are very very sensitive to anything we put in their system. It's all too easy to cause problems that weren't there in the first place if trying to treat without guidance.
One time I had Rocko outside and my uncle asked me do I check between his feathers for insects or something and I said no and he said I should is this true.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Well, it is true that taking a bird outside on a regular basis puts them at higher risk for picking up parasites. That's just one reason why regular vet checks (annual or semi-annual) are important.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it is true that taking a bird outside on a regular basis puts them at higher risk for picking up parasites. That's just one reason why regular vet checks (annual or semi-annual) are important.
I have a spray that I use on the cage after cleaning it and it keeps away insects and parasites and stuff.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I would not use that spray unless directed by a vet. Many products like that are toxic to birds even though they are marketed as being for birds.

Also, a product used on the cage will not counter the risk of picking up parasites outdoors and is not a substitute for regular vet checks.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would not use that spray unless directed by a vet. Many products like that are toxic to birds even though they are marketed as being for birds.

Also, a product used on the cage will not counter the risk of picking up parasites outdoors and is not a substitute for regular vet checks.
Oh yes I know that of course not I never actually brought Loki or Rocko for a checkup how much does it cost your birds for a regular check up.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
For me it's $90 per bird, but I'm not even in the same country as you are. It's a good idea to call around to avian vets in your area and see what they charge.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me it's $90 per bird, but I'm not even in the same country as you are. It's a good idea to call around to avian vets in your area and see what they charge.
I cant find any Avian vets in Dublin but Remember when Rockos poop were not normal I called an avian vet a bit far from me and it was €70 for to get him seen and get some other thing but I never brought him because she said to see if he has anything in his poop and if he does to get a wormer but she said if I want to get him seen I can and she gave me a number from another vet.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Considering that neither of your birds have ever had a vet check, it's probably important for both of them to go. That will serve two different purposes -- 1) you'll find out if there are any current health issues that need to be addressed and 2) you'll have an established relationship with a vet so that if your birds become sick in the future, you won't then be searching for a vet in an emergency. Vets who are familiar with your birds may also be willing to do things in an emergency like provide information over the phone or offer you after-hours services. You generally won't get that from a vet your birds have never seen.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im gonna find out how much it is for a check up and find a Avian vet near me if there is one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts