Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm doing a research project in my cell biology class where I'm finding out where birds get most of their protein from. Seeds are a very poor source of protein, which it's why it's so important to give them a variety of food- of course! ANYway my teacher suggested I test bugs along with the seeds/pellets/egg/wheatgrass that I'll also be testing. So, to get to the point of the whole story, I bought some mealworms today!

I'm okay with earthworms... for some reason. But something about larva make me want to vomit... :eek:

With the help of some gloves and tweezers (which I hope to one day overcome the need to have) I gave my Woody a whole live mealworm in an empty dish. She IMMEDIATELY dove into the dish and picked the wriggling thing up like it was nothing! Chewed it up and ate it like it was candy... wow.

So, yeah.... mealworms. A great and successful source of protein if you and your bird can handle that sort of thing :)

OH I almost forgot... my question to anyone else who's done this-
How often do you feed your birds mealworms?
and... how do you keep your mealworms?? Thank you!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
We get something like that in our backyard and they gross me out too. I can't bring myself to kill them, so I throw them over the fence into the backyard of my neighbor who has done nothing to his backyard besides let the groundcover on his slope run amok (he's lived there for 11 years). I don't think mine are mealworms so I won't feed them to the birds, but they are larva-like. *shudder*

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
one thing, i would limit mealworms to just one or two every few weeks if you feed pellets in the diet, as that is way too much protein for tiels. if pellets are used then the mealworms should be a very occasional treat :) mealies are also a bit fatty too

live mealworms have also been rumoured to give intestinal worms, so be a tad bit careful about where you buy them, but this is why they should also be limited. freezedried are a bit safer.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Might need to try this. I keep a ready supply on hand for my gecko.

To keep them, you stick them in the fridge with a potato or an apple (doesn't really matter, it's just something for them to get food/water from).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts