Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anakin's a messy bird; the time has come to clean his cage. I've previously done reading on how to clean the cage so the process is familiar to me.

However! I've read a couple articles that insist wood can't be sanitized. While I believe you can never really get it super duper clean, I believe there has to be things that can be done to at least do a decent job.

So any cleaning tips? Also, bird safe products to clean the cage with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Wood doesn't really need to be sterilized unless you have some reason to think that it might be contaminated with dangerous germs. Just simply washing it will be enough if there's just ordinary poop from healthy birds landing on it.

If it needs to be sterilized and it's small enough to fit in your oven, the best way to do it is to bake it at a low temperature until it's gotten hot enough to kill the germs. Liquid disinfectants like bleach can take care of the surface, but they may not be able to reach something that's gotten down inside the wood. If you use a liquid cleaning product, rinse well and don't put it back in the cage until all odor is gone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply! It's just ordinary poop so I think washing it will be fine. I've read that bleach fumes can be harmful..what I was looking for were some good brands of birdy cleaner :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts