Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've had this little bit that came with my cage for sometime now, and it's a small natural perch maker, where one takes a branch from outside and uses it in the bird's cage. I picked one from a tree out back, set it up, and Hermes loves it, though... maybe a little too much?

He nibbles at the wood, and swallows it from time to time. I dont know if he is supposed to do this or not, but last time I checked, wood wasn't good for one's diet. He gets fed seed everyday, and doesn't ever miss the sound of me pouring seed into his bowl (he's try to fly to it- he's such a hungry birdie), so why he is resorting to eating the wood, now? Should i just remove the natural perch and go back to his other perches? The other ones are smooth and don't provide the texture to keep his nails down, so I prefer the natural one, but I don't want him getting woody or splintery stools. D:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it partially depends on the tree branch in question.
If it is a fruit tree that is non toxic and without pesticide's (apple as an example) I don't think it will do any harm.
I don't know about a pine tree or oak or some other non fruit tree.
A fruit tree branch has to be better than chewing up a wooden dowel.

Just my opinion... not an expert..

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If it's chewable they're going to chew it. As long as it's a safe wood he should be fine.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Agreed, it is okay if it is safe. We quit buying Joey dowel perches and ladders, just because of the cost of replacing them so often. :D Even with other chewable perches and toys, he preferred them for his gnawing pleasure. Dork. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh good, good. Thank you all! Just didn't want my baby getting any wood in his intestines or anything nasty like that. He seems to have stopped the nibbling to some extant, and now just likes to play around on the big branch more than eat it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts