Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cockatiel won't stop laying eggs, it's her 14th infertile egg and I don't think she's doing well. Her mate won't let her be and is just super protective about the eggs, I thought I'd let them sit a month and they'd lose interest but instead she just lays more and more eggs. I also noticed 2 3 of her eggs aren't in the right shape.
PS. I'm from a country we don't have vets expert in birds, I did take her to a vet who gave me certain powders and stuff to add in her food but it didn't help, also he asked me to keep the male away, I can't cage one of them all day or they get real upset.
Please help me, I'm so worried about my dear Bubble

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't give them a nest box because I didn't want them to lay eggs, they laid these eggs in a corner in my room.
I do not want to get another bird and I don't think Sunshine my male cockatiel would allow

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi. The deformed eggs are an indication of a calcium deficiency, or possibly a Vitamin A deficiency. If she continues to lay eggs she is likely to get egg bound, which is potentially fatal. It would be best to separate them if in any way possible. You should also cover their cage--blocking out almost all light--for 16 hours a day. I know it sounds drastic, but you need to convince them that it is not egg-laying season. This is to save Bubble's life!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. The deformed eggs are an indication of a calcium deficiency, or possibly a Vitamin A deficiency. If she continues to lay eggs she is likely to get egg bound, which is potentially fatal. It would be best to separate them if in any way possible. You should also cover their cage--blocking out almost all light--for 16 hours a day. I know it sounds drastic, but you need to convince them that it is not egg-laying season. This is to save Bubble's life!!
I removed the eggs and covered the corner of my room so they can't sit there anymore and that was their nesting spot, they've been doing okay now. No more mating or egg laying in 5 days.

·
Registered
cockatiels
152 Posts
I have been through this with 2 tame female birds who want nothing more than to lay eggs for you (me) as the owner to please you. One died of calcium deficiency etc. DON'T remove the eggs but leave for some 4 weeks which stops constant laying of eggs. Yep, they deplete their calcium level and will die as a consequence. The reason why I will only take on males now who won't kill themselves to please us without much consequence. It is in the nature of tame females to 'please' the owner. Sad but true 😢

·
Registered
Lutino Cockatiel
20 Posts
Hi!
You should re-arrange some of their items inside the cage, try to get rid of items that are similar to the nesting box.
I also noticed changing the cage items regularly stopped tiels from laying eggs.
You should also feed them lots of calcium, such as grit, egg shells or cuttlebones, Preferably don't mix the calcium with their food, I leave some grit in a bowl and calcium near her perch.
I also would recommend a calcium perch (Which is a perch covered in calcium).
Don't remove the eggs until the mother and father loses interest, which depends for every tiel.

Hope this helps, wishing the best for Bubble : )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts