Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new little guy won't roam around his cage. He sit in front of the food dish all day. he eats good and even took a few seeds from my daughter's hand. I have 3 ways for him to drink now and he still isn't even looking for it. He has not had water in at least 48 hours. getting worried. I have a water bowl, a gravity style, thin water dish and a hamster type jug with the ball and spout. I am trying that last one because it is what I saw in the cage at the breeder's house. any thoughts? I really don't want this dude to get dehydrated.

·
Registered
252 Posts
When birds are moved into a new environment they take about a month to really get comfortable and adjust to the new surroundings. Your new little guy might not be comfortable enough to drink infront of you. Since we really cant watch our birds 24/7 its hard to tell if our birds are actually drinking and eating on a regular basis. As long as water is available to him he should drink when he gets thirsty. Im not sure what your using right now to hold is water. but i do know that my cockatiel personally likes a big stainless steal bowl for her water. If he becomes lethargic you should probably consider taking him to the vet. But im sure he is drinking water when he is not being watched.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used to be OBSESSED watching for hemingway to drink (my girlfriend can attest...my addiction to watching him for signs of drinking was a problem). Believe me, they're REALLY sneaky about it if they don't want to be seen. First, they only need a quick sip every now and again. Look away, and they've had enough. I really wouldn't worry. Show her the water. Replace it daily. They'll find it if they want/need it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Lol I'm freaking out about my own bird drinking water. She eats outside of her cage but I have yet to see pellets/seed at the bottom of the cage. I've been through this process once before and it's like being a worried mother all over again. I bought a new "steel" dish and held it in front of her. She took a small sip, and then I hung it up and left it at that! Unless he's sick he shouldn't dehydrate himself. Trust me, I still feel your worry. o_O

·
Registered
38 Posts
LOL! I was like that with my parrotlet, Loki.. He did the same thing - sneak water when you weren't looking! My 'tiels were 3yrs old and were used to people watching them, so no problems there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts