Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have a stubborn yet affectionate female cockatiel who won't stop climbing her cage after I placed her food container at the bottom.

Her food container was located at the top right of the cage. She usually sits on top of it and frequently poops on her seeds. I didn't want her to keep doing it, so I transferred her food container to the bottom of her cage and set her perch lower, near where her food and water is.

Now she won't come down and would rather cling onto the cage bars unless I place her food container on the top right.

Should I leave her like this for one night and see what happens? Or should I place her food container to where it used to be?

Also yes, I'm aware that the cage doesn't have a lot of perches, and I'm planning to add more soon. Which brings me to my next question:

How thick should the branches be? And how much more should I add?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I
Hello all! I have a stubborn yet affectionate female cockatiel who won't stop climbing her cage after I placed her food container at the bottom.

Her food container was located at the top right of the cage. She usually sits on top of it and frequently poops on her seeds. I didn't want her to keep doing it, so I transferred her food container to the bottom of her cage and set her perch lower, near where her food and water is.

Now she won't come down and would rather cling onto the cage bars unless I place her food container on the top right.

Should I leave her like this for one night and see what happens? Or should I place her food container to where it used to be?

Also yes, I'm aware that the cage doesn't have a lot of perches, and I'm planning to add more soon. Which brings me to my next question:

How thick should the branches be? And how much more should I add?
View attachment 93461 View attachment 93462
If she likes to be at the top, it’s better for the food container to be at the top. Also, is it possible for you to move the perch to the top? Birds usually rather be at the top of anything so it’s normal for her not wanting to go down.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
I would leave the food bowl where you put it for now. I'm sure when she get's hungry she'll move (on her own) to where ever the food is. As to perches......Try different sizes or thickness. this is MUCH better on there feet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would leave the food bowl where you put it for now. I'm sure when she get's hungry she'll move (on her own) to where ever the food is. As to perches......Try different sizes or thickness. this is MUCH better on there feet.
But if she feels comfortable at the top, then let her be at the top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts