Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I got Milo, the breeder had given him a pretty sloppy and severe wing clip...don't know why she did it, but she never asked me either. As a result, he is rather clumsy, climbing around his cage, etc... Now, all his tailfeathers are breaking too- he only has four left and two of them are broken. I think he is starting to molt, just a couple of feathers here and there so far. The question is, how long till his wings grow out? Most of his tailfeathers are broken, so how long till he recovers from that? Poor little guy seems fine, eating a lot, happy, playful and poops ok. Can anyone give me a rough time frame of when they start coming back in?

·
Registered
648 Posts
It depends, to be honest. A few months usually. When I got buttercup in February she had basically no wings, they were stumps. They've been fully grown in now for maybe 2 months... So 4-5 months it took her. But! She was lucky, she never broke any whilst they were growing. This is super common though and my other girl DID break heaps, that's why hers are still not grown in properly and I've had her way longer. Because the new flight feathers aren't protected by surrounding feathers, they are vulnerable and can easily break.. This obviously means you need to wait for it to grow back in, again! Tail feathers get broken a lot when they're young, because they're clumsy, climbing the bars of their cage or because they're landing on their tails due to bad clips. It should grow back relatively quickly too but, again, they could just break them off again! Once they get older they usually grow out of destroying their tails. I've had cockteils that were total duck butts for months simply because they were babies and kept breaking them climbing their cage

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Rockos wings were clipped in December when I got him and they still havent grow back yet he can fly around normally but still has 2 feathers on each wing waiting to fall out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Phoenix broke all of his tail feathers a year ago and half of them are missing or still broken. It could take 2-3 years for them to fully grow back.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I can live with the tail gone, but I feel like the wings are so drastic. He falls a lot in his cage, especially when he is stretching his wings. I have padded the bottom of the cage with a ton of sheets of newspaper, so at least it pads his falls. :eek:

·
Registered
648 Posts
I put down a big towel folded up to fit the bottom of the cage and then put newspaper on that. The padding helped a lot, avoided a lot injuries that I'd been having problems with before that. Buttercup would fall when she turned upside down and spread her wings when she was younger.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put down a big towel folded up to fit the bottom of the cage and then put newspaper on that. The padding helped a lot, avoided a lot injuries that I'd been having problems with before that. Buttercup would fall when she turned upside down and spread her wings when she was younger.
That's exactly how Milo falls! That is a great idea about the towel- I will try that today. Fortunately he hasn't hurt himself yet, but I hold my breath every time I see him fall. Sometimes after he falls he runs around the bottom of the cage and beats up his toys like he is mad that he fell! He's so funny :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sometimes after he falls he runs around the bottom of the cage and beats up his toys like he is mad that he fell! He's so funny
The toys probably distracted him and made him fall on purpose!!! Tiels are goofballs.

The tail will be harder to get to grow back because there is no support but it can happen. It'll be easier once he molts and gets the new feathers. Some birds molt once a year, some 2-3 times a year, every bird is just different.

·
Registered
648 Posts
That's exactly how Milo falls! That is a great idea about the towel- I will try that today. Fortunately he hasn't hurt himself yet, but I hold my breath every time I see him fall. Sometimes after he falls he runs around the bottom of the cage and beats up his toys like he is mad that he fell! He's so funny :)
They're hilarious, aren't they? I've kept the towel there even though mine don't fall anymore, it just makes me feel better knowing there's protection there just in case. Plus, if they ever have a night fright and end up down there thrashing, they won't catch a wing in the grate which has happened to me before.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They're hilarious, aren't they? I've kept the towel there even though mine don't fall anymore, it just makes me feel better knowing there's protection there just in case. Plus, if they ever have a night fright and end up down there thrashing, they won't catch a wing in the grate which has happened to me before.
Oh my goodness, THAT would scare me to death. Fortunately Milo hasn't ever had a night fright, but that's not to say it won't ever happen...I put the towel in yesterday and he seemed to appreciate it when he fell again last night :) But over the past couple of days it seems like he is falling less than he normally does, which is good. Now he has decided he likes to chew on my shirts with any prints on them....gets very cheeky when I tell him no... ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts