·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTE--UPDATED 4/16/14

This mini album has the most recent sexing illustrations

http://tinypic.com/a/2utjc/3

-----PRIOR, ORINGINAL INFO FROM 2/11
I gathers all my pix's and made some collages of the wings of birds. I still have to work on some Illustrations of the wing spots of pearl. Pearls are the only mutation where the spots look the same for both sexes.

The wing spot sexing can be done on any mutation. On rare occassions Dominant Silvers and Emeralds of either sex may not have any spots/dots to their flight when young.

I have used the wing spot visual sexing for years and have had a 99% success rate in determining the sex.

The last Illus shows an adult normal female and male.

Click on the pix's for a larger view. if you would like to print out a copy for personal reference click on the enlarged pix again, and then right click and print.
Enjoy :)

And if unsure as to the sex the best way is to have the bird DNA feather sexed. This is especially true with Lutino Whiteface (albino) and some pieds. Below is a company that has reasonable rates ($20) and a fast turn around in results.

Michal Prochazka, MD
Pet DNA Services of Az
www.petdnaservicesaz.com (email for free sample kits)
NEW ADDRESS TO SEND SAMPLES:
145 South 79th St, (Innovations Incubator, Ste#1), Chandler, AZ 85226

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
O srtiels this is awesome! Thank you so much!:D

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Roxy. As I was going thru about 15+ digital pix I realized I had alot of pied pixs including the wing spots and realized, that the wing spot method also appoes to them.
-----------------------------------

2/13/12 Update....

This is another collage I just finished. It shows what to look for as a young bird starts to molt. A female will always maintain the same coloration. it is the males of the solid color mutations that will change as they molt....which can start as early as 4-5 months of age. By 9-12 months the male will have the full facial mask.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was Whiteface split pied that was a hen which didn't follow this.
-----------------------------------------------------

The age of the bird makes the difference in doing this way. If an adult many solid color females will be marked like young males because they will molt out the spots of the 7-10 feathers closest to the body. The wing spot sexing is more applicable to young birds prior to any molts.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Shame it doesn't work on the pearls.
--------------------------------------

1/13/12 Update I just looked back thru several years of young birds that I knew the sexes of as they got older. I noticed that the 2 center feathers of the tail when young and feathering out are also an indicator of sex.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
NEW, UPDATED, 4/16/14

Sometimes you can determine the sex of a baby by what mutations the parents were. For example, with sex-linked (SL) mutations, which are cinnamon, lutino and pearl, if the fathers was a SL color and the mother was not then all SL colored babies will be females. In order to get males BOTH parents must have the SL gene.

This mini album has several pairings to illustrate this

http://tinypic.com/a/2ry47/3

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I went ahead and closed this thread since the purpose has long ago been satisfied.

There is lots of good info on this thread, but if you still have questions about the sex of your bird you can post a thread in the mutations and genetics section of the forum. Please post pictures of a full view of the bird's back, and both sides, as well as a picture of the tail feathers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.