Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ~21y/o male 'tiel typically flies only short distances. However, 4 days ago he flew a longer distance and since has been complaining when stretching his shoulders and/or wings. I have checked several times for displaced or "new" feathers and felt for abnormalities. No visible problems with feathers. Both wings feel normal. He's behaving normal otherwise - i.e., no change in activity, eating, and not shivering.

I suspect he may have strained his wing(s). Does this sound right? What should I do for him?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick reply. That is what I figured. Just wanted to make sure.

Just makes me so sad every time he complains... :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bowie seems to be doing better. He's complaining much less and - hooray! - less cranky. Again thanks for you advice and support

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had this happen to me too and I rushed my tiel to the vet I was so scared, but she was better by the time we got there so everything worked out. I'm glad he is doing better.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Good to hear that everything is OK. I had something similar with my 'tiel, he had hurt his wing while flapping in the cage, and started screaming in pain really loud, we got so worried we thought we'd have to run to the vet, but just by watching him for 15 min, feeling and testing his wings we figured it wasn't broken, and he stopped complaining after about 30 min. He did this a few days in a row, where even a small bump to that wing would cause him to complain when preening, but it went away within a few days. I guess it's like when you pull a muscle or give yourself a bruise by hitting something. But of course it's hard to tell with your 'tiel for sure as to what it is, so it makes us really worried.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After his flight Bowie "flipped" his wings and shrugged his shoulders, screeching both times. Of course I checked him - feeling his wings, looking for blood, looking for displaced feathers. Saw nothing wrong so I didn't rush him to the vet. Was getting nervous when it had been a few days.... but like you said, it takes times to heal just like when a human bruises or pulls a muscle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts