Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Buddy is my 12 year old female cinnamon pied. A few nights ago she had a night terror, and knocked out most of the flight feathers in her left wing. When I got to her she was bleeding from that wing. I quickly picked her up and plucked out 2 small blood feathers that seemed to be the source of the bleeding and applied a generous amount of KwikStop and pressure. The bleeding completely stopped soon after.

Since then, she has returned to her normal behavior. However, yesterday I noticed that the flesh of her wingtip (which is now mostly exposed due to lack of feathers) has turned a bluish-green color. See pictures attached. Today I scheduled a vet appointment, but their earliest availability isn't until Thursday morning. Does this issue appear serious enough that I should look for another vet that would be available sooner? I can't tell if the color is due to bruising, internal clots, or new feathers growing in. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thank you very much,
John & Buddy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
oh I was thinking just a bruise till I saw that second pic, not sure if that is a scab or not, quick stop burns the flesh from what I have heard so it may be scabbing from a chemical burn, A vet visit is good just to make sure all is well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ParrotletsRock, that is good information. I didn't know that the styptic has that effect. I probably should have used less of it, but in the stress of the moment...

I am definitely going to take her to the vet. It sounds like the Thursday appointment should be fine, but please correct me if I am wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts