Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I really want your opinion on whether to get my babies wings clipped? When they come out of their cage they all go crazy & fly every where. I thought about having their wings clipped because I would like them to live free in the house, my hubby brought a lovely stand for them but they won't go near it lol :p. I worry about them escaping or hurting theirselves too ;):eek: . Any ideas how much it might cost? Not brave enough to do it myself.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I've just had Dooby's wings clipped at the vets and he charged me £6.30, so it's not that expensive. If you get them done, make sure they clip them enough, I had to go back with Dooby, then I ended up doing the last few feathers myself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually read your post about that,poor Dooby. Its not as expensive as I thought. :). I've read the article that was posted about wing clipping but I just don't think I could do it :eek: Do they have to be a certain age & how often does it have to be done? Thanks for your help :blush: Its all a bit new to me :p

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
There's a wing clipping guide that might give you some courage. I personally don't think it's worth going to the vet for but it's better to go and have it done if you think there;s a chance you might butcher their wings. You can always clip a few to slow their flight down or clip them completly. You'll have to do it anything their wings grow back out-sometimes its a month or two, sometimes faster if they're going thru a molt. As far as what age, as long as they have learned to fly and they are not little babies that haven't gotten a chance to develop their chest muscles, it doesn't matter their age.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you are too nervous to clip them yourselves, you can take them to the vet. Or you can take them to a groomer, pet store, rescuer, breeder, bird club etc. Actually some bird clubs do them for a very very low price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
All the time? I mean ALL of them are clipped?
Well, with our last president, anyway (but our current one is really nice); the birds that come to meetings are usually already clipped and stay on people, so it's an issue we rarely ever have.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I think I would be confident enough to do it now, but for the first time and never having done it before, I was only ever going to let a vet do it. Once I'd seen what he did I can understand everybody saying how easy it is, but I need to be shown rather than told...it's an age thing. LOL.

I'm really pleased that I had Dooby clipped, he's a lot better, although he still bites, but at least we can get away from him now, some days he's fine, so I still love him. The only thing is, now that he's had his wings clipped, it looks like he's walking around with his hands in his pockets:p

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
but at least we can get away from him now,
hehe.... thats good that you can get away, I clipped Ollie and if he can't fly to me he runs after me, and i am not kidding if I try to leave a room he is in you should see how fast he can run after me....lol

G

·
My fiance and I haven't clipped Joey's wings. I feel weird about clipping. Birds are meant to fly. What are the advantages? I know the disadvantages. Joey gets lots of exercise by flying. Would he still live a full life with no flying. How do you keep them entertained? I've heard that clipping is great for taming unruly cockatiels..........

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Clipping is a choice, Spike is fully flighted right now and doing well. But if they start to get sassy cough cough Dooby cough clipping might help calm them down ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts