Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. lately when we clip Joy's wings, she goes right back to flying the next day. This has happened a few times in a row now and I'm at my wits end. I've watched videos and read several articles about trimming wings, and I've done it myself for months now. I'm not sure why all of a sudden it's not working. Admittedly, I let her go too long in-between trimmings - and thus her flight skills have gotten quite good - but I've done that in the past and never had this problem. I've read it's not safe to cut more than 5 or 6 primaries, but doing that isn't working.
I know wing trimming is a controversial thing, but I do it for Joy's safety and it's stressing me out that she can and will fly wherever she pleases. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what I could be doing wrong here?
(I apologize if this is in the wrong topic section to post this btw!)

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Some cockatiels are stronger flyers than others. Most birds will fall like rocks if you take more than 5 or 6 feathers, but with some that isn't enough to slow them down. You don't want to do a drastic clip all at once, but it's OK to take another feather on each wing see if that works, and maybe another later on if that's still not enough.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts