Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to clip your bird's wings, I was thought to hold you your bird towards your stomach (Head to stomach) and extend the wing and clip from down to up at a slope like angle.

The reasons why I want to clip her wings are
1) I take her outside sometimes
2) She sometimes panics in her cage and flaps her wings like crazy making them get caught on the cage bars (I don't want her to get hurt)
3) I don't want her flying all over the house

Anyone got some help or info I can use

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=682
This sticky explains how to properly wing clip.

When you take her outside, it's on a harness right? Because even with clipped wings she could still get spooked and take off.
No, I got her from a breeder in a Florida flea market. She does get spooked but not as much as she used too. The more I take her out, The less she'll get spooked.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
No no no. We don't recommend this AT ALL. There are predator birds that will snatch her, even if you are standing right there. Taking her out without a harness is SUPER dangerous and not recommended. We have had members who have watched their birds killed in front of them. Please harness train her if you are determined to take her outside.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Please get an Aviator Harness if you are taking your 'tiel outside, regardless if clipped or unclipped.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No no no. We don't recommend this AT ALL. There are predator birds that will snatch her, even if you are standing right there. Taking her out without a harness is SUPER dangerous and not recommended. We have had members who have watched their birds killed in front of them. Please harness train her if you are determined to take her outside.
Oh, I wouldn't want that to happen, Thank You for the heads up!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just curious, can they get a bird even when on a harness? Because I've been considering trying it with my tiel and there are a lot of pet-preying hawks in the area. The neighbor's outdoor cat got snatched up in view of her a couple months ago.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
If they're brave enough hawks will try anything. But it's a lot safer with a harness so you can keep your bird close to you and controlled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts