Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so now Echo has his flight feathers he's been given free range throughout the house which he enjoys mightily, the problem is that although hes worked out where some windows are and knows to avoid them others he still crashes into from time to time. He hasn't got enough flight feathers yet to get up the speed where he could actually damage something but does anyone have any suggestions has to how to teach him where the windows are?

The windows he can locate and avoid are all in the areas he's most used to and has spent a lot of time sitting in front of and staring out, so would that work with the other windows?

At the moment I've become very adept at racing after him and catching him before he hits a window, my Dad thinks its hilarious seeing me chasing Echo trying to make him stop before he hits something.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
:p Windows and silly male cockatiels.....ahh, i'm all too familiar with this scenario!! What i did with all my birds when i got them was clip them, and while they were flightless i would get them used to the house. This included walking around to all the windows and mirrors and holding them next to them, and tapping so they could "see" that there was something solid there.

Then Bailee came along, and oh dear, his sesame seed sized brain just couldn't grasp the concept and when his flight feathers came in he flew into the kitchen window....hard...twice...in a row. :p He was BALD and bruised for a few weeks, and he had a head ache for about 24 hrs. Now i pull the blinds down half way so there isn't such a large space of glass for him to see to aim at. He hasn't had any dreadful collisions since i've been doing that. You could also buy some cheap window decals and stick them on the windows while he's out, or at least until he grasps the idea of glass. The decals will create a more solid looking barrier for him.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't ahve blinds or curtains for that matter living so rurally we don't need em.

I've shown him the glass so many times and hes run into it when walking on the ground as well, he just hasn't grasped that he cant get through it. Right now the hits aren't hard he's hitting the glass with the tips of his wings on the forward beat as opposed to his head, and he does seem to avoid them after he's hit them a couple of times LOL.

We're not encouraging his flying, but if he wants to fly we let him, as I believe all birds deserve that choice but he seems just as happy to tell his human taxis where to go, just now and then he gets frustrated with his taxi and takes off instead then invariably hits a window at some point.

Well I'll keep trying to show him where the windows are and I might add some deacls, that might help, hopefully.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Dooby grasped the fact that he can't fly through glass pretty early on. Daisy on the other hand has earned the nickname Dozy Daisy, she will fly into the window, back off, hit it again and then almost shoulder charge it!!! She's been told so many times that she can't break the double glazing!! It's really strange though, I have one window with plants in that she will throw herself at without fear or fail and another one with no plants in that she will land nicely on the ledge and sit and watch the "homeless birdies" outside!!

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
When I got Spike I took him to all the window and tapped them and said window to him, I then slowly put him so close his beak would touch the window. He now knows where the windows are and has not hurt himself with them. I also showed him the mirrors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.