Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Willow for just 3 days and I already love her like crazy!! But there is just one problem, and thats her cage. It's not the cage thats the problem its making her like it that is. I do try and put her back into her cage very now and then as I don't want her to become a "screamer". But she still doesn't like it at all. I am planning to buy some more bits for the cage this weekend because it is looking a tad bit bare. But how do I get her to actually relax and enjoy being in her cage?! Thanks. :)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I think it'll come with time more than anything. Talking to her while she's in the cage and spoiling her with millet might help too though. Cookie spent the first few days sitting on the bottom of her cage and occasionally managing to drag herself to the lowest perch. It can be daunting for the little babies to navigate their way around a big cage. Positioning perches so they can get from top to bottom and back again without having to climb on the bars can help with that.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
What I do with mine is keep their cage open when I am home and just let them hang out there. It takes time for them to get use to it. Do what you'd normally do around their cage but don't go to her just because she is screaming. It's important to give her stuff to do in that cage like play with a millet stick, wooden blocks, paper, snacks, just stuff to do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the opposite problem - Ergo seems to go after everything that even slightly resembles his cage to escape into it.

I do have a suggestion, though - I bought Ergo a little round disc of seed that can be hung up from the top of the cage by a hook. He always enjoys sitting on his perch and munching on the seeds. Maybe having a toy-like ball of seed to much on would encourage Willow to spend more time in her cage?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll start straight away - I don't want her thinking that her cage is some kind of jail or something. I am going to go mad this weekend buying bits and bobs, just making her cage look more interesting. Thanks again. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts