Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miss Autumn is a voracious piggy, but I have noticed that out of her seed bowl, she is only eating the oat groats! I've been letting her eat lots of spray millet as well, because it's a good training tool and because I want her to get enough nutrition/calories (she's still growing). She sometimes picks at her Zupreem pellets, but no luck with greens or veggies yet. Will she eventually learn to eat other types of seeds, or is there something I need to be doing differently?

·
Registered
25 Posts
What about trying nutriberries? My tiel loves Nutriberries and will eat it all. If your goal is to transition to pellets then Nutriberries make a good transition food. Since it is formed into a ball it will be much harder for her to pick and choose select seed.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you shred the tops of broccoli on top of seeds yet?

That pretty much always works for me
I will try that at some point! Getting her to eat veggies is a whole other battle, haha. Right now I am just hoping she learns to eat more than two different types of seeds...

What about trying nutriberries? My tiel loves Nutriberries and will eat it all. If your goal is to transition to pellets then Nutriberries make a good transition food. Since it is formed into a ball it will be much harder for her to pick and choose select seed.
Oh, I am already feeding her Nutriberries; I love them! I crush them up and mix them with a bit of regular seed, and a bit of Goldenfeast Australian blend. Still, she picks out ONLY the oat groats. o_0

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh, I am already feeding her Nutriberries; I love them! I crush them up and mix them with a bit of regular seed, and a bit of Goldenfeast Australian blend. Still, she picks out ONLY the oat groats. o_0
Crushing them takes all the fun out of eating them, try feeding a couple whole that way she can't pick and choose. Tiel beaks are strong enough to rip these apart easily; I can attest to that since destroying these balls is my tiel's favorite activity.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crushing them takes all the fun out of eating them, try feeding a couple whole that way she can't pick and choose. Tiel beaks are strong enough to rip these apart easily; I can attest to that since destroying these balls is my tiel's favorite activity.
If I don't crush them, she tosses them out of the dish and they just end up pooped on! lol. Hopefully she will learn.

I found that hand feeding pellets made them more exciting.
She's not thrilled with my hands in general...but she HAS been nibbling on her pellets more so that's good.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
She's not thrilled with my hands in general...but she HAS been nibbling on her pellets more so that's good.
At first, I just held them up to the bars of the cage while talking to him, and he would just look at me. Eventually he got curious enough to come take one. For a while he'd only eat from my fingers with the safety of the bars between us.

It takes patience and time, but she will get more comfortable. Some birds are never quite comfortable with hands, but it is still worth trying. The fact she is already nibbling them is a great step toward eating them.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She will eat millet from my hands if it's the only way she can get it, but she'd rather not have to. She does get on my hand when she's getting something she wants out of it, though -- she is not afraid of me at all, but she's very independent and doesn't like being touched. Hoping that will change with time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts