Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im new to the board and planning on getting a tiel soon. I am in the process setting up cages first before the bird arrives and currently im also looking for some travel bird carriers. Anyone know if a decent travel bird carriers that will fit at least two perches, food and water and maybe a few toys as well as a bottom tray for their poopings?.

I don't think i have found anyone yet that i can trust to bird sit for me and the longest im gone for vacation is 1 week and sometimes shorter, 3 or 4 days max. I thought it'd be easier just to bring the bird with me like i do with my own dogs :).

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :D

My travel cage is just a small cage i bought at the pet shop, it's not designed specifically as a travel cage though. I would certainly take your tiel with you on holidays if that's a possibility. :p I know i would!

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
welcome to the forum yes a vacation cage is a great idea what mutation you getting and when you do we love pictures

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome :). I actually saw a really pretty cockatiel at pet expo and was thinking of getting one there. Im not really into getting animals from pet stores but pet expo seems to carry their healthy animals. Or should i treat pet expo like any other pet stores?. There is no petsmart near me and im not really a big fan of petco ;). Pet expo seems to carry higher quality dog foods so i shop there often for my dogs. They even have adoption day for animals so i check in on that too.

I also looked around for breeders as well as rescues too so i have several options as well :).

But in the mean time im getting all excited about setting up a cage and getting it ready. I will definately be checking back here with some pictures as soon as i have a tiel :D.

·
Registered
917 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm waiting for my first Cockatiel too.

I knew of a lot of specialty bird stores with good reputations, but I decided that since I've never had a tiel before it might be a good idea to go with a hand-reared one from a breeder. I was worried that a rescue or pet shop bird has an unknown backround and unknown problems, whereas I know the history of the tiels from a Breeder.
That's just my preference, though. I'm not sure what pet expos are like, but if they have breeders there and you find a bird you bond with, it might work out well for you.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
in my opinion i would always go with a hand reared or hands fed one they are so tame i find the females love scritches more then the males do and they cuddle up to you more

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think birds from reputable breeders are the best bet. Birds can carry diseases, some communicable to humans, and when you have a pet store, just one bird with a fungal infection can spread it to all birds, and then to you! It's good to get your bird tested for psittacosis (chlamydia psittaci) because these birds can get sick, or get you sick if you have a weakened immune system for some reason. Just as there are good breeders, there are bad ones too; a breeder that has all healthy birds at home will sometimes buy a bird from a pet store for breeding purposes and then that foreign bird can bring disease into the aviary. It's good to meet a bird a couple of times before you decide to buy it too, so you can see if they are afraid of humans, if they look healthy on different occasions, etc. I recommend finding a good vet who really knows birds. I've had my tiel for just 2 weeks and he had a night fright and knocked some of his blood feathers out and was bleeding. Luckily I knew of a great vet so I was able to get him taken care of pretty quickly. Read some books on cockatiels, it should explain everything in rigorous detail! Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts