Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tiel cage is in my living room. I am normally up until anywhere from 10pm to midnight. I do turn off all the lights (except the TV and a small lamp) at 9pm, but am still up and moving around. My wife then gets up for work at 4am, so there is a lot of activity around the cage other than the few hours each night.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? Are my Tiels being deprived of sleep? If so would covering the cage at night be adequate to enable them to get the required rest/sleep? :wf cinnamon:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have always covered my cage just to give them a sense of security when they are sleeping. It also helps to form a routine with them because they know as soon as I get the cover out that it's time for bed and they go right to their sleeping spots :)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Bobbi (my mums tiel) is in the living room and gets covered around 9pm because she's up until around 11 to 12 pm watching tv. Bobbi will go to sleep in his spot when covered and then gets uncovered when we wake up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi. We live in a similar environment and I had the same question a few weeks back. I have had members suggest getting a sleeping cage and putting that cage in a quiet room. However I have not tried that - I will if hormones start becoming an issue, as I want to leave a few recourse open for when hormone issues arise and not have all avenues depleted. So, right now, as others have suggested, we cover three sides of her cage at around 7:30/8:00 pm and our tiel happily quiets down and goes to her sleeping spot. We go about watching tv until around 11:00 pm and don't hear a peep from her. I get up at 5:30 am and go downstairs by about 6:00 and notice that she is usually quiet for another few minutes.

I guess it's too early to tell whether this will trigger hormones come spring because she does not quite get enough "quiet" time, but behaviourally she's been good.

One member mentioned that if this is what she's used too, she will be fine. This makes sense as the same principle applies to people. I.e.our child(ren) can adapt to sleeping in a noisy environment and do not need complete silent to rest.

Yes, I think a cage cover will help show your tiel that its time to sleep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.