Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a tame male cockatiel, i found a tame female sitting on eggs and just lost her partner, her owner wants to sell her, is it a good idea for me to take her? If yes, would she be able to continue the journey of motherhood alone? Shall I help? Can my male cockatiel help? If yes: shall I transfer him to her cage?
please advice, I feel sorry for the widow female

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
When one parent dies, it's common for the other parent to abandon the eggs, because it would be very difficult for a single parent to successfully raise the babies in the wild. But you can try if you want to. She will probably not accept help from your male, since he is not her mate, and he might not have the right hormone levels to want to help at the moment. But if you bring her home, you can see how they respond to each other and act accordingly. Even if she does abandon these eggs, it's possible that she will pair up with your male later on and they will make some babies together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When one parent dies, it's common for the other parent to abandon the eggs, because it would be very difficult for a single parent to successfully raise the babies in the wild. But you can try if you want to. She will probably not accept help from your male, since he is not her mate, and he might not have the right hormone levels to want to help at the moment. But if you bring her home, you can see how they respond to each other and act accordingly. Even if she does abandon these eggs, it's possible that she will pair up with your male later on and they will make some babies together.
Thank you very much, that was helpful.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Once you move the female cockatiel nest, she will abandon eggs. I think, single female actually can raise a few babies by herself. My suggestion is if female continues sitting on eggs, just let her be. Only take her in if she abandon eggs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts