Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a cockatiel from the humane society some months ago. We are an adult family with other cockatiels and budgies, as well as a dog, and have been so for many years. Our son works at the humane society and told us about an available cockatiel, how nice it was, etc. and indeed, the bird we've named Carly, has turned out to be a good match for our family.

Humane society personnel said the young adult had been turned in after having been found flying free in the area. Carly arrived beautifully finger trained, unafraid of people. a good eater (knew all about pellets, as well as other foods) and a vet check told us, in excellent health. She is also a beautiful bird.

So why wasn't she claimed by her owners? Did they even look? This is a vast area and this humane society does not service our neighborhood, but I scoured the sites I knew on the web, in our vicinity as well as those closer to the society, to see whether any bird even remotely resembling Carly was ever mentioned as lost. I found only one person who had checked out Carly and determined it wasn't his flyaway. How far can a cockatiel fly? I've heard long distances.

She came fully flighted, but the vet said she had been clipped in the past. Since she will happily sit on a willing shoulder my thought is that someone simply forgot she was there and walked out of the house. Whatever...

The society did its part with postings and keeping her for over a week, without any takers but me. She's a delgihtful bird. I just wonder about the others who made her that way.

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
The owner might not have been able to search for the bird. For example: if the original owner died or became incapacitated, or was a child or elderly person who didn't have computer access or other skills to search for an escaped bird, it's possible that a family member who didn't want the bird turned it loose and the person who loved the bird couldn't do anything about it. Not a pleasant scenario but unfortunately things like that do happen sometimes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If it was me I would not stop looking for my bird if she flew away. I really do nit know why someone would not try and find their pet. Maybe they are.....they just do not know where to look.

Either way...if you cannot find anything I am sure you will give her a great home. :)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It could just be that the person really missed the bird but after it had been gone for a while accepted that it may never be seen again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts