Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a cockatiel for a while and Im not very sure if thats a problem but, for a while now he has been screaming/squeling a lot of times and im not very sure why. Do you have any ideas on why he does that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
How is he screaming? Does it sound painful? I also may think he\she has something going on. Hope you find your answer!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is he screaming? Does it sound painful? I also may think he\she has something going on. Hope you find your answer!
Thanks for replying! I think it might be because he is tired because he does that more in night time but i have also noticed a broken feather so im not sure if that pains him..

·
Registered
cockatiels
99 Posts
Cover when getting dark to mimic their natural circadian rhythm. Upset their natural light/dark rhythm if you don't. For me, when I go to bed I uncover cages and open curtains for natural daylight in the morning.
Sometimes when preening they will hurt themselves and give a small scream, but they know why. Only time I hear something worse is if they have a major fright from something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cover when getting dark to mimic their natural circadian rhythm. Upset their natural light/dark rhythm if you don't. For me, when I go to bed I uncover cages and open curtains for natural daylight in the morning.
Sometimes when preening they will hurt themselves and give a small scream, but they know why. Only time I hear something worse is if they have a major fright from something.
Oh i see.. Ill consider doing that from now on

·
Registered
19 Posts
Depends on the scream. Cockatiels' only way of communicating is via screaming/tweeting.

They could be screaming for attention if you're in another room; cockatiels are very social birds. Just having them around you or in the same room while you work should keep them content as they play with their own toys.

But since you said it's at night, it might be a night fright. Moving figures and/or sudden sounds may spook cockatiels. When they're sleeping, make sure there's a small source of light somewhere (either a hallway light, or keep the curtain open for moonlight/streetlamps to leak in.) Otherwise - like another poster has said - they could have hurt themselves preening.

Goodluck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts