Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the past week, my two year old male cockatiel has been cuddling up to my neck - which is not uncommon for him - but he has been making strange noises somewhat like what babies make while moving his head from side to side. He has been eating and drinking normally and weighs in at about 92g so I don't think he is hungry..

Is this common behaviour or is he just an odd duck?
Front camera video (it was horizontal when I filmed it but YT has had its way..): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppALtN3bq3Y

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
That looks like female mating behavior, although this bird certainly has male coloring. Either way, I definitely think it's hormonal.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Murray (girl) does this when she is in the mating mood - she does the same posture, the same sound and the presses up against my arm or neck just like this. But this is a boy...so that's interesting!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(S)he is very vocal and also displays male mating behaviour so I'm sure he's a boy ;) It is indeed strange that he does this and he couldn't have picked it up from anywhere because he's the only bird in my room.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
I suspect that this bird may actually be female. A DNA test would be interesting, if you're so inclined.
How can a normal grey be female with this colouring? I also wonder it could be possible for a female cockatiel to be born with male colouring.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My female does this when she's feeling hormonal and nesty. (Psssst gay cockatiel ;) Best answer since I have no answer! :'D )

·
Registered
33 Posts
My cockatiel, Louie, was doing this for a couple weeks. Then after one week of doing this under my china cabinet she started laying eggs. Waiting to get a good pic of her. She only comes out for a little while to eat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My male bird Francis does this a lot. He sits on my shoulder and sometimes leans his face very close to my cheek or slightly under my chin, and he goes on like this. Sometimes will even start to sound like he is muttering other times it's like the sound of a machine just humming a long. Other times he sings and whistles to me and with me and holds out his wings in a heart shape, and then he goes on to register that noise. It usually irritates me and is not a fun sound after a while when he keeps on with it. He only does it on my shoulder!

·
Registered
878 Posts
haha Silly bird :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts