Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 days ago I got a new hand feed baby cockatiel. It is 12 weeks old. He is eating rowdy bush pellets and zuprem . He is fine when he is in his cage. He loves to come out. When he does he just wants to run up me and sit on my shoulder and will sit there and Cry like a little baby. Or he puts his beak on my face and cries or whines whatever u may want to call it. Anyone know why he is doing this? I'm guessing maybe he thinks I'm his mom? He was hand feed since he was 10 days old. When I try to keep him on my lap and give him scratches he is fine a little bit. But sometimes he will turn and try to bite my finger because he just wants to be back up on my shoulder and touching my cheek or be on my shoulder near my face or neck and cry or whine like a baby. Just wondering what he may be doing and any suggestions? Do u think I will ever be able to just hold him and give him scratches without him running up to my shoulder. Thanks ahead of time to all who gives me advice. :wf cinnamon::grey tiel:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Perfectly normal. She was recently weened and see's you as her source of care. She won't do it forever. She'll grow out of it.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Babies whine and cry after weaning because they are used to the crying bringing someone to them to feed them. He will eventually grow out of this but there is no guarantee that he will ever like scritches. That's just on a bird by bird basis.

Also, is he getting any seeds? Seeds are a part of a well balanced diet. Would love to see pictures of the little guy!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No he is on Roudybush Dailey Maintenance. He is eating just fine. Has good appetite. Do they need seeds if they r on a pellet food which has all the nutrients they need? It is a beautiful pied. I will try and get a picture on sometime. I'm not real sure how to do it though. Lol thanks for ur response. The pic of ur bird is very beautiful.

·
Registered
885 Posts
It is a common misconception that birds do best on an all pellet diet, but I firmly believe that seeds are a very important part of a well balanced diet. You don't want seeds to be the primary element of his diet, but definitely include them. Even just a tablespoon of seeds every other day would be fine if he's eating well on pellets and fresh food.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Yep moderation is key! A bird on a pellet only diet can develop liver issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts