Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my female wants to mate, but the male just ignores her. I have two nesting boxes in the aviary. Is this going to change, or should I try to put her together with an other male? They are about 2 years old.

·
Registered
173 Posts
How long are they staying together?
The female sound is not like mating call to me. Are you sure the female is she?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a pair of lutino cockteil. My female cockteil is just 14 months. I woke up and see thet she has layed an egg but she layed it in the cage as there was no breeding box.
I don't even know that they have done mating or not......and I'm very nervous to touch the egg and do the candle test. Can i check that the egg is fertile or not by some other ways??
Waiting for quick reply😔

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got them about a week ago, but they were already together at their previous owner.
They are not settling down yet. Cockatiel breeding needs a environment that they feel secure. It will take time to establish such. Does the previous owner tell you these two are proven pair ? I still feel you have two male. '
And you swing like perch is not good for successful mating.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't even know that they have done mating or not......and I'm very nervous to touch the egg and do the candle test. Can i check that the egg is fertile or not by some other ways??
Waiting for quick reply😔
You can pick the egg up. Cockatiel egg is not so fragile. Candling at this stage is useless until egg being incubated for a few days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are not settling down yet. Cockatiel breeding needs a environment that they feel secure. It will take time to establish such. Does the previous owner tell you these two are proven pair ? I still feel you have two male. '
And you swing like perch is not good for successful mating.
I am sure they are male and female, one of them layed an egg once at their previous, but they did not have nesting box. The other one is whistling much, so he must be a male. I have other branches in the aviary, that are fixed. Sometimes they use those, sometimes this swing one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts