Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the hardest time trying to get a male Society Finch! The only place I can find them is PetSmart and they cost 25 dollars each, which has been adding up very quickly. Right now I have three females. I bought one pair originally, but they were both girls, then later I bought another pair, but the next morning, it turns out that my polydactyl cat had used his thumbs to open the cage and let one out. The two cats then proceeded to eat that finch. So now I only have the three girls.
Does anyone have any suggestions for making guesses while at the store? I can't keep spending so much money and there is literally nowhere else nearby that I can get them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Males sing, virtually all the time. The song is boisterous and noisy and the birds adopt a characteristic pear-shaped upright stance, turning and bouncing left and right, while they're singing. I have never had a female sing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been doing a lot of research on it, but I can never tell at PetSmart since their cages are almost completely soundproofed. You can't hear the finches at all. I have trouble telling what would be singing behavior and what is just them being their usual active bouncy selves, since all three of my females jump around a lot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope I can get a male at some point, because I just cleaned out their nest today (I keep one in the cage so they can cuddle together at night and stay away from my cats) and they had 17 eggs!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't have any advice, just wanted to point out that you have a Tiel named Obi-Wan and my babies name is Anakin. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any advice, just wanted to point out that you have a Tiel named Obi-Wan and my babies name is Anakin. :)
Haha! That's what Obi's name originally was when I got him! I found it to be pretty funny!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried looking for a finch breeder in your area? They might be able to sell you a male at a much lower price than Petsmart.
I have looked a lot, but the nearest I could find any was two and a half hours away and I don't think they were actually a breeder. They were just selling a few of theirs. From the pictures they had a lot though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts