Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have two youngsters just out of nest box, look like white faced but not very white faced does this come with age or is this the end result.would like to know mutation thanks
Bird Vertebrate Beak Feather Pet supply

·
Registered
662 Posts
It looks like a whiteface split to pied. If it's a male, then he will get a bright white face after his first molt. If it is a female, then she should look the same as she does now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like a whiteface split to pied. If it's a male, then he will get a bright white face after his first molt. If it is a female, then she should look the same as she does now.
Thanks for that dad is a white faced pied mum is a cinnamon also in the box is a pearl pied bsby, wasn't sure on this one as its first time I have bred this colour .👍🏻

·
Registered
662 Posts
You're welcome! The dad must be split to pearl for you to have a pearl chick which means that the pearl pied chick is a female due to genetics. Any pearls from them will be females. Also, the mom is split to whiteface in order for you to have a whiteface chick. Since whiteface is recessive, both parents have to pass that gene along for a visual whiteface chick to be born.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you you certainly know your stuff , how do you get albinos I have 1 male and 1 female but they have paired with pearl and pearl pieds, and what would I get with both being albino , be greatful for your imput .🐦🐦

·
Registered
662 Posts
You're welcome! I'm going to refer to them as whiteface Lutinos as that is the correct term for them, and it will be easier to explain to you. Whiteface Lutinos are two mutations put together hence the double name. Like I said earlier, whiteface is recessive so you'll have to have either whiteface parents or split to whiteface parents. Lutino is sex-linked so the male has to be Lutino or split to lutino whereas the female doesn't have to be a lutino in order for you to have whiteface Lutinos. Females can't be spit to lutino so you'll either have a visual lutino female or you won't. For example: if you have a lutino male split to whiteface with a whiteface female, you could get whiteface Lutinos, but they will only be females due to genetics. If you wanted male whiteface Lutinos, you would have to pair your male with a lutino female, and she would have to be visual whiteface or split to whiteface as well. I can use an example with my cockatiels as well. I have a normal grey male (Maverick) split to whiteface, lutino, and pied. I have two females for him. One is a Lutino (Meringue) split to whiteface. The other is a whiteface pearl (Cookie) split to pied and emerald. If I paired Maverick with Cookie, I could get whiteface Lutinos, but they'd all be female. Whereas if I paired Maverick with Meringue, I could get either male or female whiteface Lutinos. Hopefully, that makes sense.

·
Registered
662 Posts
With both being whiteface Lutino, you'd get 100% whiteface Lutino offspring unless the male has hidden splits. Also, I would't suggest breeding two whiteface Lutinos together just because two visual Lutinos will give bald spots to their offspring. I would then get one whiteface lutino and pair him/her with a whiteface split to lutino or a grey split to whiteface and lutino.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With both being whiteface Lutino, you'd get 100% whiteface Lutino offspring unless the male has hidden splits. Also, I would't suggest breeding two whiteface Lutinos together just because two visual Lutinos will give bald spots to their offspring. I would then get one whiteface lutino and pair him/her with a whiteface split to lutino or a grey split to whiteface and lutino.
Thank you its a lot to take in , very useful info I will have to keep this for future reference , thank you again for taking the time to explain this as I am very interested in the genetics of this lovely breed 🐦🐦

1 - 10 of 10 Posts