Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.... for those who have owned both male and female cockatiels. Not necessarily at the same time, but have the experience.
Hypothetically... you have no other birds, none! You are going to purchase a Cockatiel, but you can only have one cockatiel. All cockatiels have been DNAed, soooo are you going to purchase a Male or Female?:D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I think that i would probably choose a female BECAUSE they are more likely to become and REMAIN cuddly. The boys are known for becoming hormonal terrors and while they sing and flirt and dance they may grow out of mummy cuddles. If i could be assured that the male would end up a sooky mummy's boy like Bailee, i would choose a male. I just love the singing. :p

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
although I love my female and male equally :D I would have to say male just for the fact that my male is so comical he keeps us in stitches with his monkey chattering, his mimics of the birds outside, his head bobbing and his newly found word pretty boy I have the opposite problem its my male thats cuddly and my female is more stand offish with us but my male is young that could change ;)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I can't really help you with this one. I've had a girl for the last 3 years but never had a boy YET. I know females can be more cuddly, but I also know some cuddly males..the noise factor would play a part. Females aren't as vocal at all- they seem to have one preffered long screeching tweep which is done for a reason (lack of attention, etc) but even though it's loud, it not all the time...or shouldn't be anyway. From what I've heard and seen, males enjoy singing, imitating sounds, and alot more often then females, just in a more quiet constant way...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I don't really mind which one I get. I like males because they are vocal and amusing, but can be (as bea said) aggresive. Females are more cuddly and generally sweeter but are more quiet and prefer cages to humans (this is just what I have heard ;)) So to be honest, I don't care, male or female!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
your right on Rosie, my Ollie is vocal and amusing and will start attacking my fingers for no good reason...lol and Georgie well she is quiet but not so much cuddly and she does prefers her cage to us humans, but there both great in there own way :)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I think female cuddliness is quite dependent on whether they're single or flock birds. Cookie was the cuddliest baby EVER before i got Bailee, then Bailee took over my shoulder and pushed all my other birds away. I feel bad sometimes, because he takes up so much of my attention.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Females are more cuddly and generally sweeter but are more quiet and prefer cages to humans (this is just what I have heard ;))
I think it depends. Mine would choose me over here cage anyday but like Bea said..it might be because she's an only child for now...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Oh thankyou for correcting me as you know I have not got a tiel yet so I am just going by what I have heard. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts