Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what mutations my precious birdsies are?
Am I right if I think that one is Lutino and the other one is Pearl?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Yes, you are correct :) they're pretty! :love:

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Isent that pearl also pied?
No, I don't think so. If you're referring to the tail feathers, it's a normal trait of pearl cockatiels to have yellow tail feathers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can someone please explain to me what exactly Pied means? And explain it like you would to a child... :p I have tried reading about it, but I can't seem to get an understanding of the definitions.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Pieds: This is a striking combination of yellow or white with light or dark grey. Lutino Pieds would have darker yellow "splotches." The amounts and placement of color vary widely. Even, symmetrical marking is desirable.

-Beauty of Birds
Basically a cinnamon or grey tiel who looks like they had white paint splashed onto them. :)
My boy, Maverick, was a pied. <3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks. I think I get it now! :D
And, he looked awesome with his wings spread like the first pic.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It is a Lutino Pied and an Incomplete Pearl (or could possibly be a juvenile male in molt).

The Lutino I can tell is pied because it should be all white with a yellow head, but there is a lot of yellow on the shoulder for sure.

The Pearl is an incomplete because it is missing partial patterning on its back below he shoulders. This doesn't effect it genetically, it is still a Pearl and of paired would produce the same babies as a complete Pearl. It is just a fluke that happens with a lot of Pearls.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, if I'm getting you right, if she was a (pure? real?) Lutino, she should be completely white, except for the head? 'Cause she also has some light, nearly invisible to the camera, yellow on her underside* and under her wings.

*What is the stomach part of the bird called?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts