Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I bought a 6 month old male Cockatiel last Saturday, He already Talks and Lets me tickle his head through the bars when I give the "Tickles" command which he must have already knew. I can feed him Seed bar from my hand but he wont take seed from my hand. I made the mistake of letting him out before learning him to step up first but when i did let him out he flew straight to my knee and let me tickle him and feed him from my hand. Everytime I put my finger out to step up he bites me which i can handle and i ignore it but having read the steps of training him I am a bit confused as he has jumped some steps already and missed others. where do I start with his training as I need him to be able to step up to enable me to get him back in his cage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You need to take a couple steps back. Remember that this birds history with you is very limited, so bad experiences will most definitely outweigh the good ones. Start by sitting next to the cage, talk and put your hand on the side of the cage and just talk at him. I wouldn't "tickle" yet even if he does accept it at this time. Don't let him out, I made the same mistake of letting Anakin out the first couple days of getting him, and that let to me having to pick him up around his neck and that is VERY unnatural for a bird so they hate it.

As soon as he's comfortable around you sitting next to the cage, open the cage door and do the same thing as you've been doing just with the door open. After two to three days, stick your hand in. Make no motions towards him, just stick your hand in there. There are also of plenty good training tips in the Parrot Wizard's Guide to Well Behaved Parrots (I'll post a link at the end of this). But you MUST have patience. It may take several weeks to a couple months before he really warms up to you.

A couple of side notes: if he starts to bite you, LEAVE HIM ALONE. Anything you do after that point will lead to your bird resenting you. It's very important to not press his boundaries. Don't make him do something he doesn't want to do. Shower him with treats as well. If he won't take them from your hand, wedge them in between the bars of his cage; he'll know it's from you, and won't have to walk up to scary hands.

The Parrot Wizard's Guide to Well Behaved Parrots: http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Wizards-Guide-Behaved-Parrots/dp/1626208042

All the best!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey is 2 1/2 and still won't step up onto a hand or finger. He has no interest at all. The same hands that are great for scritches, hand feeding and adjusting toys are suddenly great, hulking claws of doom when it comes to stepping up. At first he would step up onto a bamboo spoon handle, and now he steps up onto the perch of his seed dish. He is out most of the day, so to put him back, I have taught him to associate the step up command with stepping up on the perch of his dish. Perhaps you can teach your guy to step up on a spoon handle, perch or some other 'thing' while still working on getting him to step up on you. I still slowly try each day to get him on my hand or a finger.

There is no rhyme or reason to training tiels, or any bird. They get some things before others, and may never learn some things. You can try until your face falls off to teach specific words, and they may never learn them. They may hear a word or phrase just a few times and get it. Joey learned 'pretty bird' from our neighbor (also maintenance man for the building and does safety checks of the smoke detectors every other month)saying it to him once ever couple of months. There are things we say several times a day he has never said.

Everything has to be at the bird's pace to build and keep trust.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts