Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the conformation standards for the cockatiel societies, and various posts about breeding. And I'm curious--where does this standard come from? Is it simply aesthetics, like most dog conformation guides are, or is there more to it? For example, My bird Pippin's wings cross where the flights emerge from the coverts--does this impede her physically in some way, or is its fault status a matter of taste? Why is 14" the desired length--how big are wild cockatiels?

I've been reading srtiel's site, which has some good info on some possible deleterious results from poor conformation, but I always need more :p. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I think it is based on what show birds are judged on...and I assume show qualities are based on the natural appearance of wild cockatiels...but I'm not definite on my answer.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Well its not based on the natural appearance I don't think, because the tiels in the wild are definitely smaller than show tiels. But yes, the standard is based upon what the judges think show birds should look like. Its definitely an astheticly pleasing idea behind it. I don't think it has anything to do with how it physically affects the bird.

A couple years ago I heard they were going to adjust the standard to try to make the show birds look more like the wild ones but I haven't heard anything since so I don't think that happened.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
I don't know this for sure, but I think the "crossed wings" standard is just aesthetic. Crossed wings are VERY common, in fact I think this is the predominant way for birds to carry their wings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts