Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
This thread is really interesting, to find out the different life situations people on this forum are in, but even with how different we all are, there is still the love of our feathered friends that brings us together. :)
I'm doing my Masters in Cancer biology at the University of Toronto, Department of Medical Biophysics. My lab is part of the "STTARR" - Spatio-Temporal Targeting and Amplification of Radiation Response facility. I spend 99% of my time in the lab, with only a very small portion of my time taking courses, which is the norm for a Sciences related Masters. Our lab in particular studies prostate cancer and radiation response. It all sounds fancy and interesting (and it is sometimes actually interesting) but my day-to-day stuff often drives me nuts. I spend hours upon hours just doing the same things every day (growing cell cultures, ordering supplies, organizing experiments, data analysis, etc.). There is never a point at which you can say you've done enough, and it's always stressful knowing you should/could be doing more. Generally weeks or months are spent on things that are just necessary to set up a specific experiment (trouble shooting and such) and more than half the time nothing works anyway (the definition of research...). And even getting an interesting result will always just end up in requiring further experiments which require further trouble shooting. There is always a pile of at least 50 scientific papers to read on my desk, and I always know I will never get to >50% of them. Sometimes looking at that pile brings on dread and mid-life-crisis type thoughts. Sorry for the ramble, I just got home after an 11 hour day and it's nice to vent. I've seriously thought about taking at least a few months after I finish my Masters to just work outside of my field. I used to work retail back in high school. Folding clothes on shelves and helping customers sounds so relaxing right now (although I'm aware that's not always the case), and even if I made minimum wage that would be more than the stipend I get right now, which is sad considering I frequently do >60 hour weeks.
I can identify so much with everything you just said! I'm doing an Honours research year in Genetics and it does gets so mentally draining..

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wow, your job sounds amazing RedQueen! I would love to work in science somehow. Originally it was going to be in the veterinary field but oh well.

I'd like to work in pharmaceticals helping to develop new medications but that would mean another 7 years of university which i couldn't afford. I have endless patience for repetitive tasks in the name of science lol.
A career in the science research field suits very specific people. You really literally have to live to work. It's never just a job, but a lifestyle initself. I always knew it would require a lot of work, but I wish my sis (who is doing her PhD in biochem) would have given me a better warning. It's not just the hours but the constant mentality of always having work on your mind, this is what mostly drives me nuts. When I get home from work, I want to be able to relax and enjoy my life outside of work, my birds and other hobbies. This is so often hard to do because my cells and next experiment are always on my mind. As well as the 100 things I should be doing instead of relaxing at that moment. But there are people who enjoy this kind of lifestyle, that find the research and science so interesting and consuming that it's worth it. Most of these people (from the lab supervisors I know) don't have families (kids/wife) or hobbies, they're married to their careers.
The education also doesn't seem worth it in some cases. Getting a PhD only gives you the right credentials for some higher end research jobs (like a lab supervisor), but the competition is so high that you're likely to end up in a job that never required a PhD. It's also expensive to pay the tuition while living on a stipend that comes out to less than minimum wage. It's definitely true that no one goes into research for the money. Some one once told me "get out, get out while you still can", I sometimes wish I had listened.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Ah i see your point. Maybe i could settle for being a pharmacist, working in a hospital or something.

I just finished a five hour shift at work and i'm knackered! Some day i'll be healthy enough to do some proper work haha

·
Registered
317 Posts
I hear pharmacy can be a good job, and pays decent too. It takes a couple years to finish the certification I think. When I finish my Masters I want to try for a job as a vet assistant/technician. Doesn't require vet school, a Masters in biology may help me get the job, and it's work with animals, could be the thing for me.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to 3 small kids. Prior to that I worked both at a hospital and at-home as a medical transcriptionist for 6 years. I actually loved that job, but after the birth of #3, I just didn't have the time any more. When my kids are grown, I think I will probably end up going to school to do nursing, so I can work on retirement/travel money for my golden years.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am a supervisor at a large Doggy daycare and Boarding facility. by large I mean we have 2 owners, 1 manager, 3 supervisors and 30 employee's. I am the Afternoon/Evening supervisor, so I basicly handle the custamers and make sure everyone is doing there jobs lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone,
I have a degree in graphic design but have been biding my time until my youngest son starts school before putting my full attention into starting up a graphic design business. 90% of the jobs I've been commissioned to do within the last few years since getting my degree have been painting murals and doing portraits. Which I actually prefer to working on a computer, though its harder work. With standing on ladders for hours at a time, and even worse when working outside when we hit triple digit temperatures! Though it feels more rewarding in the long run.

My minor in university was english and writing is my other love. However typing out things on my cell here you would never guess it! I'm just over 400 pages into a historical fiction novel about the bubonic plague. I am kicking myself now for not finishing it yet when its more relevent than it was when I began writing it. I began writing for a creative writing class and my proffessor encouraged me not to stop after the class ended. He even sent along the info for me to self publish. So thats one ongoing project I have in the works.

My husband was a Navy corpsman for 8 years, but spent more time serving alongside Marines. He now works at the VA hospital here. Which with him being a disabled veteran the job has been a life saver and we are both greatful every day that he was able to get hired there.

It awesome to chat with you all here!

101 - 109 of 109 Posts