Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Well I've been working straight out of high school, coming on 10years now :eek:
I've done almost everything already! Honestly lol :rolleyes: but officially I am trained for office work (data entry, microsoft, that kind of thing) and early years child care (nursery teacher).

I just quit my last job as a nursery teacher because it was too much with a baby and a preschooler who were demanding my attention at home as well. You take a lot of homework back with you in that kind of job. I have decided I need a 'job' rather than a 'career' for the moment. Something I can just switch off as soon as the clock hits 5pm or something like that. Currently I am back to applying for office jobs ;)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I work at Time Warner Cable in the surveillance department on the computer doing reports etc it's a stressful job but with great benefits including free cable and discounted cell phone bills awesome 401K and great healthcare I go to work smiling oh and I make double what my husbAnd was making before we started our own business so that's a plus :) I've worked since I was 15 and I will be 31 in 3 weeks I'm the OnLy one in my family who works but I love being able to provide for my family

·
Registered
176 Posts
I work at a hospital as a Certified Nursing Assistant. Taking care of people (crazy or not!) is the best feeling in the world. :) Currently going to school for my RN and then BSN.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is a cool thread, it's interesting to hear where people work.

I work at a chocolate shop, it's a pretty sweet job ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use to be a shift manager at Jack in the box (position just under assistant manager) for 6 years. I went to college for a 2 year science degree in Welding Technology.. Unfortunately had to quit both work and school just shy of 14 credits from graduation.. Due to mental issues.. As such I no longer work and am on disability.. My Husband is a quality evaluator for Convergy's phone calls.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am a therapist in a mental health clinic. I love my job! Once I get my license I would like to go into private practice and use animals as my co-therapists.
That is an absolutely neat idea. I wish when I had been in therapy that they had had animals to help me cope with some of the voices that I had.. luckily I no longer hear unless seriously stressed.. My pets at home helped me lots to I miss my cat Roxy when I got really bad she would actually nip me to get me out of whatever funk I was in at the time..

Animals do help more than some people would think..

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am a Activity Director in a nursing home, my job is to keep people active and involved in life, believe me it does affect your health if you do not have things to enjoy or look forward to each day. I get paid to do all the fun stuff & enjoy it every day. Making a difference in peoples lives, coming up with different ideas just to have fun together & make it a home & have everyone enjoying life & forgetting for awhile about illness & disabilities.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I work as a GM for a Taxi Co (actually four companies in three locations :eek: )
And I'm doing mobile development (mostly bug tracking) on the side....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
I work at a chocolate shop, it's a pretty sweet job ;)
I would love to have your job as im a chocoholic :D
but i have been good for the last few weeks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pun definitely intended! And lperry82, work in a chocolate shop and your chocolate problem will be cured in a week. I've lost all interest in eating chocolate outside of work!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I studied Optometry many years ago and now work as a Dispensing Optician at Specsavers at the Sunshine Coast.
Love my job so very much, I also am InStoreTrainer and teaching my staff all about eyes and optics and spectacles or contact lenses is much fun. My staff is great and we are a very good team, we also share the stories about our animals and they say to me, Hanna you're the animal whisperer, lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
My first job was at a local ISP on the Sunshine Coast.

Then I worked as a web designer from home (although Bigpond should have paid me for all the tech support I did for their customers on the Sunshine Coast!).

Now I work at a special school in Melbourne as a classroom teacher. I teach 8-10 year old with intellectual impairments...most of my kids this year also have Autism.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Because of a permanent illness, I'm unable to work a real job. However I do artwork on the side - mainly watercolors of dragons and animals. I have a big show coming up on the 19th of July. And of course I've had to include pix cockatiels in the show, LOL!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I work as a support worker for adults with learning disabilities. I'm registered disabled myself and have had to cut my hours down to part time as i couldn't cope.

I did vet science and animal management at college but unfortunately over the last couple of years i've pretty much developed allergies to everything furry apart from dogs and birds >.<

·
Registered
317 Posts
This thread is really interesting, to find out the different life situations people on this forum are in, but even with how different we all are, there is still the love of our feathered friends that brings us together. :)
I'm doing my Masters in Cancer biology at the University of Toronto, Department of Medical Biophysics. My lab is part of the "STTARR" - Spatio-Temporal Targeting and Amplification of Radiation Response facility. I spend 99% of my time in the lab, with only a very small portion of my time taking courses, which is the norm for a Sciences related Masters. Our lab in particular studies prostate cancer and radiation response. It all sounds fancy and interesting (and it is sometimes actually interesting) but my day-to-day stuff often drives me nuts. I spend hours upon hours just doing the same things every day (growing cell cultures, ordering supplies, organizing experiments, data analysis, etc.). There is never a point at which you can say you've done enough, and it's always stressful knowing you should/could be doing more. Generally weeks or months are spent on things that are just necessary to set up a specific experiment (trouble shooting and such) and more than half the time nothing works anyway (the definition of research...). And even getting an interesting result will always just end up in requiring further experiments which require further trouble shooting. There is always a pile of at least 50 scientific papers to read on my desk, and I always know I will never get to >50% of them. Sometimes looking at that pile brings on dread and mid-life-crisis type thoughts. Sorry for the ramble, I just got home after an 11 hour day and it's nice to vent. I've seriously thought about taking at least a few months after I finish my Masters to just work outside of my field. I used to work retail back in high school. Folding clothes on shelves and helping customers sounds so relaxing right now (although I'm aware that's not always the case), and even if I made minimum wage that would be more than the stipend I get right now, which is sad considering I frequently do >60 hour weeks.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Wow, your job sounds amazing RedQueen! I would love to work in science somehow. Originally it was going to be in the veterinary field but oh well.

I'd like to work in pharmaceticals helping to develop new medications but that would mean another 7 years of university which i couldn't afford. I have endless patience for repetitive tasks in the name of science lol.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts