Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I checked and Cosmo has been going through a molt since the beginning of June! It's like never ending! I'm surprised I don't have a bald bird with all the feathers he has lost. Is this normal??

I looked in his cage today and there was a zillion body feathers everywhere! It's been awhile since he lost this many body feathers though. He has had so many pin feathers all over him since June. He grew some wing feathers but the one on the one side came out when he flew the other day.

Does this mean he probably turned a year old? He had his juvenile feathers on him when I got him back in January. He has lost most of them by now.

How long does it usually take for this to happen? What are some extra things besides showers I can do to help him with this lengthy process.

My baby is growing up :(

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh my goodness, since June? Poor baby! If he has pins coming through as well as feather loss then it's probably just a heavy moult, and that's normal. Having said that, Murray just went through her 1 year moult in which she seemed to lose a tonne of feathers at once - but it only lasted a couple of weeks. She's still a little bit pin-y and loses an odd feather now and again, but the majority of it was done in 2 weeks. I'm not sure how long they can go on for...anyone?

Murray eats a range of things and I don't give her supplements during her moults. I do pop a drop or two of Harrison's sunshine factor into her food every couple of weeks to improve the condition of her skin and feathers, but that's all. She was quiet for a few days last week, but in general she seems to get through it OK. She also has to have more regular showers, which she despises, so...that's fun! :p

Let us know how Cosmo gets on and when the moult finally ends!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't know answers to all your questions, just my own experience.. Maxi is having a long/heavy molt, it definitely comes in waves of feather loss v lots of pin feathers.. then it's more feather loss.. then the pin feathers.. she's got looads of pins in at the moment and I'm sure she started around June/July.

I think I read somewhere there's meant to be an order to the molt but I don't know .. I'm sure you're doing all the best you can for Cosmo, washes are definitely the best thing and obviously making sure he's well fed (but this doesn't really need saying!).

Now if he's still molting in a few months I'd be concerned..

·
Registered
574 Posts
We've got a long, long molt going on over here too. My poor baby looks pretty scraggly and scruffy. :(

·
Registered
181 Posts
Corona had a serious molt this year that lasted nearly three months. Sometimes they go on for a while. Nothing to be worried about.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys! I'm relieved to know that it's normal to go through such a long molt. I was getting concerned because it's been going on forever. It's cool to see him get his adult feathers and his face getting brighter. Does anyone else's tiel has some grey feathers that have a slight brown tint to it? I was checking out his wing /back feathers and saw some that looked grey but they had a tint of brown. He is a normal grey tiel.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Brown eh? That's interesting. Murray is normal grey split to pied and female. I guess there's a brown-ish hint to her feathers in some lights...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts