Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, if a cockatiel has babies, when is the best time to take them out of the box to hand rear them?

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Two weeks is the typical age to do that.

FYI, bumping a thread is actually against forum rules. Please do not do it again.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yes, I pull my chicks at 2-3 weeks of age, any later and they are too hard to get going on the handfeeding, any earlier and they are a lot more work and a lot more fragile.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I pull my chicks at 12-15 days, too. If I wait until 16 days or later, getting them to accept the feeding syringe is a terrible struggle. They act like you're trying to kill them or something.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I pull at 10-14 days, unless I am co-parenting which is my preferred method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I got reemed out by one of my vets for pulling a baby at 14 days. She said I should pull them at 21 days, which I found frustrating because the babies were more reluctant to feed at that age.

Either way, younger is better. Any later than 3 weeks and the babies refuse to feed from you. Any earlier than 14 days and they get sick faster when something goes wrong :(

·
Registered
377 Posts
Unfortunately I'm learning the hard way that vets often don't know what they are talking about in anything other than VET STUFF. I have been given some of the WORST advice by vets.

At 21 days it is nearly impossible to get some birds to accept human feedings. The smaller the parrot the worse this is going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts