Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When they say that giardia can be asymptomatic does it mean that the bird does not have any symptoms/looks healthy/lively or can it also mean that the poop "looks" normal to the naked eye (no diarrhea)? In other words, can the poop of a tiel affected by giardia look and smell perfectly normal to the naked eye?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, yes, I will mention giardia when I go to the vet for a check-up, which should be very soon. If there is some fresh poop in the cage she might be able to examine it immediately. I was supposed to go a couple of months ago but the doc was away.
It's just that he is really the portrait of health, much better than asymptomatic. He is lively (he will be 7 in August, but has the energy of a 2-year old), sleeps well, his poop looks good, he has a good appetite, clear eyes and nostrils, and his feathers are gorgeous, bright and shiny (apart from those he has plucked on his neck and under his wings).

You are right that it is difficult to diagnose. I have read that for this reason some vets give birds Ronidazole even without a sure diagnose. Maybe I can ask the vet to prescribe him Ronidazole or anything else for giardia even if she is not sure he has it?
It is a dilemma though. Maybe something to control his hormones would be better if it is hormonal of course. He got much better lately anyway, but I just want the best for him.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Why do you think he has giardia?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you think he has giardia?
Because of the plucking, in particular under his wings...

But it could definitely also be hormonal or behavioural.
Other tiels with giardia look sicker in my opinion (based on photos I have found on the net).

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I treated with Ronidazole without a diagnosis and it went fine for my birds, although I know they don't all tolerate it equally well. In hindsight, I'm glad I did it for the peace of mind even though it didn't help. It's not without potential downsides, though, so discuss it with your vet. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I treated with Ronidazole without a diagnosis and it went fine for my birds, although I know they don't all tolerate it equally well. In hindsight, I'm glad I did it for the peace of mind even though it didn't help. It's not without potential downsides, though, so discuss it with your vet. :)
Yes, I will definitely discuss it with my vet. He is a strong boy, so it shouldn't be dangerous, but it is better to know about side effects and what to do in case something happens.
I think it is indeed good for peace of mind to give it a go. :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The yogurt might help but tiels can be lactose intolerate (I think that's how you say it). I know at my vet we carry animal specific probiotics, so I would talk to your vet and see what they have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts