Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell when a primary flight feather is done growing? Spooky is just a wee bird, only 4-5 months old and clipped when we got him, so I have no experience recognizing blood feathers. But a few weeks ago he randomly molted a few clipped feathered and they've grown back enough to allow flight. It's a safety issue in my house but the only place I trust to clip him is the bird store we got him from, 40 minutes away...

The one wing seems fully grown back, but he only molted one feather on the other wing and I can't tell if it's done coming in yet. I don't want to put him through two long car rides... any advice for a bird newbie? Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My birds wings are clipped also for saftey reasons, and our pet store is also 40 minutes away! I just got one of my tiels wings clipped a month ago, but she now has about five feathers that have grown in since then. I will probably wait another month or so, because she still can't fly that well. On the other hand, my boy Twillight hasn't had his wings clipped in three months and they still haven't molted at all. I have attempted to clip them myself in the past, but it was too hard. My birds are not used to having their wings touched. I would say wait as long as you can until it really becomes an issue, but you never know when they might loose a few.

As far as the car ride, however, my birds love it! I have nice fold down cages for travel, so they can see all around. The first couple of times they were a little nervous, but now when they see the travel cages come out they get all excited. I even joined the bird club 40 minutes away, and I take them with me there once a month. They also go to friends houses, parks, and I even took them camping!:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to hear. Spooky's only had two car rides so far was in a tiny cardboard box to bring him home and then back to the store a few days later for a weight check. (He was not happy). I just got him a nice travel cage so I hope he's less upset when I have to take him places. He's really adventurous and likes looking out my house windows so hopefully he'll end up enjoying car rides too. I don't want the trip itself to be stressful since the store is kind of stressful... Lots of bigger parrots there so it's VERY noisy.

I'll have to take him soon regardless... the flying is getting out of hand. He's really attached to me and flew on top of a door as I was closing it, trying to follow me out. :eek: Thank goodness I saw him in time and he didn't get hurt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was afraid the first time I clipped a bird's wings. He also had feathers growing in and I dreaded the task, expecting there to be a blood bath. But it went very smoothly! I'd say take Spooky in for a clipping and when they do it, ask them to show you which feathers to clip and at what length. After that you should always be able to do it yourself. My baby hates being toweled but it's been necessary to pull broken blood feathers and the like. They forgive you :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
We had to clip Yoko because of the fact that she flew into a window, and cut her forehead. :( She's better now! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts